What the heck is Floss?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
Ok......I give.....what the heck is Floss?

I have read it many times....what is it? Excuse me if this is a "dah" question......any way thanks.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Ok......I give.....what the heck is Floss?

Floss, or filter floss is a thin dense mat of white or blue plastic stringy 'hair' cut into small sheets that are glued onto plastic plates for hob filters or cut into pads for canisters. It provides mechanical filtration, and can be colonised by nitrifying bacteria as well.
It is also common to use the nylon or polyester batting that sewing enthusiats use instead of filter floss because of it's lower cost.
good luck
:)

Last edited:

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Thanks for starting this threat, Twilight, I've been thinking of adding floss to my Aquaclear 200 filter. It's currently got a sponge and an old nylon with Black Diamond activatec charcoal in it. There's room for more medium, and my water isn't crystal-clear, which I would like it to be if I can get it. So I was thinking of adding floss.

Questions: does it help with crystal-clear water? And where in the AC200 would it belong (between the sponge and the charcoal, or on top of them)? Also, would I need to put the floss in a bag, or just put it right in the filter?

Thanks

-- Pat

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Filter floss comes in different grades from coarse to fine. Use fine as the last filter, coarse as your first.
Dump the charcoal unless you are removing meds, after 2 weeks it does nothing but provide a place for nitrifying bacteria to grow(which is ok). A denser biological media like a biowheel or biostars or my favorite ehfisubstrate needs to be put in there somewhere if it already isn't.
GPH and regular gravel and filter cleaning are very important to getting clear water.
good luck

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
GPH - gallons per hour. In other words, a more powerful pump or a bigger HOT filter or whatever you're using.
Try bumping your cleanings to once per week for a while and add a sponge or fine floss to your filter, this should help.
What kind of filter on what size tank? - I know you said, but I forget.
good luck

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
put the floss between carbon bag and sponge

redwing

Addicted to rainbowfish
May 18, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I like to use floss in one compartment of my fluval. In my AC (another tank) I simply use 3 sponges instead of one. Between my weekly water changes and the filters my water is crystal clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store