What the heck is this thing??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Greech, back to the important point, how in blazes do you get RID of these things?? and by "spines that can cause permanent numbness" I am assuming you mean cause this to the human who attempts the aforementioned removal?

yeep. /reconsiders salt tank yet again
I guess I didn't mention in my post but the monster in the pic I posted is NOT a bristle worm but rather a 4'+ eunicid worm. Not nearly as common in the hobby as BWs but if you find one, pack up the wife and kids and head for the hills :).

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Call me hard-headed but I'm sticking with a long BW :). But if its more round (like an earthworm) it could be one of these guys...

http://spineless.ucsd.edu/Annelida%20AToL%20site/Capitella.html

Would explain them rarely/never coming to the surface. Either way, I think it's safe to say the worm is a benefit to your system.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I have a large capitellid myself. Does a great job of munching on decaying matter and detritus deep in the sand. Yours is quite the specimen, too--mine is nowhere near that size.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I've had one of those before.. swims around during the night

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
If you can get a better picture of the worm, I bet you could email it to the PI of that lab that greech linked - all the professors I've ever emailed pics too have been excited to know that their field is being acknowledged, hehe. He might have a better idea of if it is that or not, and if it is, what species it might be, and how to either care for or remove it.

StarStruck8

AC Members
Jun 9, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Lindsay
:jaw:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Ha, got a (shoddy) pic of mine mowing some detritus near the front glass. He's about 2x the diameter of a pencil. I wish the pic was better, but I rushed to try to get it. This was as it was stretching its prostomium out to nom some detritus:

OhioOilMan

AC Members
Mar 1, 2008
Portsmouth Ohio
Real Name
Ryan Lore
Its as if this thing grows more and more every day too!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store