Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

What type of goby is this?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Bottom Dwellers' started by x0x0x0, Feb 10, 2008.

1. x0x0x0

x0x0x0 AC Members

Aug 31, 2015
    I purchased a group of four of these gobies and they were labeled as "silver dragon gobies". I talked to the owner of the store and he was pretty helpful with most information regarding feeding and water conditions and such, but i forgot to ask him one thing.. What was the species name? so..now i'm asking if anyone can help me.. what species of goby is this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lupin

Lupin Registered Member

Paul
    Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
    Feb 11, 2014
    Paul
    It doesn't look like a dragon goby to me. I'm crossing out Gobiodes broussonetti. If you don't mind me asking, could you please tell us all the information he gave you? It appears this fish may be a brackish water species but I could be wrong as I cannot positively identify it at the moment.

3. x0x0x0

x0x0x0 AC Members

Aug 31, 2015
    he always seems to get the most uncommon/rare fishes he could find. Personality-wise, they're peaceful and tend to "play" with others of their kinds. He said that they were possibly slight brackish but he has kept them in freshwater quite fine and that they grew another 2x the size of the largest one i had which was about 2 inches.. so i suppose the maximum size for adults of this species must be around 4 inches. They eat pretty much anything that settles to the bottom of the tank. In my case, i've been feeding them bloodworms, new life spectra and sometimes they eat the flakes that fall to the bottom.

4. x0x0x0

x0x0x0 AC Members

Aug 31, 2015
    they also like to sift through the sand and that they live around 7 - 8 years in his experience of keeping them.

#4 x0x0x0, Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  5. blazingazn

blazingazn AC Members

Jul 2, 2017
    im no expert, but that looks like a mudskipper at that angle, especially the way the eyes are positioned at the top of the head... which gives a clue that this species sticks its head out of the water for a good amount of time.

6. x0x0x0

x0x0x0 AC Members

Aug 31, 2015
    you're right.. it seems to be so.. and i think it might be in either apocryptes or the pseudapocryptes genres...

7. blazingazn

blazingazn AC Members

Jul 2, 2017
    well im no expert, but if it is a mudskipper, then it does require brackish water and needs land for it to climb out of. there's a few members who keep mudskippers, so u should search other forums and ask them.

8. x0x0x0

x0x0x0 AC Members

Aug 31, 2015
    I joined a goby group on another forum and i have been told that it is apocryptes bato. It's supposedly a commonly imported goby from india? Although no one seems to know much about this type. There's almost no info about this species online.. as far as experience on growing and raising goes. I suppose that is my cue to make some observations.

9. Lupin

Lupin Registered Member

Paul
    Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
    Feb 11, 2014
    Paul
    I have never even heard of that species before. Good luck.

10. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    May 24, 2017
    Josh
    I found some pics and some look almost identical to yours...but I cant find anything either...sorry. Good Luck!