What type of lighting on a new 55g build tetra tank only?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boxer Boy

AC Members
Mar 24, 2019
I have quite a few tanks over the years. All have been mixed tropical. I had all kinds of lighting. I would a all appreciate the feedback and what would be a good lighting for my new tank.

Thanks Bill

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
if it is tetras only, I would go with something cheap and low powered,

if you were going to go with plants, I would aim for something a little more powerful.

Boxer Boy

AC Members
Mar 24, 2019
dougall; Appreciate your answer and it does make food for thought. I guess I could go with 48" T8 bulb and save a lot of money over an LED. On my other tanks which there were many I always run my lighting usually at about morning and evening totaling about 7 hours 3 in the morning and 4 in the evening. Sure help keeping the alge down.
Thanks again for your response

Bill

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would suggest getting an actual timer to handle turning on your lights on and off (assuming you don't end up with a light containing a timer) just for the potential times when you may forget to turn them off (And getting wifi timers mans that you can turn them on or off with alexa or your phone)

and don't rule out LEDs, they are far more affordable than they used to be (and bulbs do not need switching for years), you can even check out LED shop lights from places like Home Depot or Wal*Mart.

Also remember the color spectrum/temperature, it will effect how the contents of your tank appear, and which colors might be more vibrant than others (or not, getting a 'grow' light might make everything look blue and purple)

Boxer Boy

AC Members
Mar 24, 2019
dougall; Thanks again for your suggestions. I have always used timers on all my tank lighting it saves a lot of messing with switches. I will check out Home Depot on there lighting. I will most likely go with a LED 48 inch with a remote to select color of the LEDs. I was thinking of a flourcent fixture but would happen throwing it out and do LEDE fixture with remote. Looking at them there is sure a lot of different makes to choose from. I appreciate you feed back.

Thanks Bill

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
if you aren't growing plants, you are more likely to have too much light than not enough. Rather than having something with variable color, I would likely look first for something that is dimmable.

having said that, I've always liked the color from a finnex planted+ 24/7, not so much the onboard timer though.

Boxer Boy

AC Members
Mar 24, 2019
Hi gougall; I have been doing a lot of research on the Finnex 48" 24/7 LED. That fixture is very impressive That will be the Led I will get when it comes to putting this whole thing together that will take the guess out of which one to get. I sure appreciate that tip I never looked at that before heck of an LED fixture.

Thanks again for the tip appreciate it

Bill

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Finnex is a good brand, as is Current Satellite. Any of the name brands really.

The no-name mail-order stuff is cheap. Sometimes they last years, sometimes not. I've had cheap LED tank lighting fail in as little as months, others maybe lasted a year or two. I do have one that I lucked out with over my 75g oscar tank that's been going ~8hrs/day for 6yrs. It's a 48" low wattage ~10000K color/temp range LED that I paid around $35 for shipped.

T8 or T5 fluorescents are in the same boat in terms of quality. Bulbs aren't made like they used to be, nor are the electronics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store