what type of lighting to use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I still have a PC fixture I use (OMG!) & a couple replacement bulbs, 1 to be replaced ASAP. But if I had to buy new...I'd research LEDs...They are not all created equal from what I've read...buyer beware!! & Research!

I mostly have old T-5s, just so you know, I'm cheap & old, lol.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ In terms of equipment quality, you're better off with older T5 or PC fixtures, if you still have them working for you. I swear the ballasts and electrical components are made of bubble gum and paper mache these days. Really bad. Even on some name brand stuff.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want PC fixtures, we have maybe 3 48" 260W PC fixtures... come on over to pick them up ;)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
My biggest problem with PC was (is) all the extra bulbs afterwards and the heat...and the cost of bulbs and running but anyways. They are no longer usable for plants but they still work and it's not like I can use those bulbs in any other fixtures. And they are too powerful to use as a standard non plant light. I have at least 10 "old" bulbs of varying colors that I just don't know what to do with. I still have my ahsupply kits too of course lol. In retrospect I think they were way more light than I, personally, ever needed.

I always wanted to get into T5s but I actually never got to own any. Weird!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store