What type of Moss do I have?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ken91gsx

AC Members
Feb 8, 2002
The Big Apple, NY
Here are some pictures of the Moss in question. I was told it was Xmas Moss by the person I got it from. So is it Java Moss, Willow Moss or can it be Xmas Moss?

keely

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I started out with 3 strands that looked exactly like the very triangular-shaped one in the pic. From those strands it grew into different clumps in different tanks, all of which look different and none of which look anything like the original anymore.

I'm suspicious that some of the different species of moss are just different growing patterns of the same one. When I change the conditions it takes on a different look... has anyone made a definitive classification of these mosses yet? I remember a group on APD was trying to do so a while back but I stopped following the list for a while...

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Nice photo gallery!

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Ken91gsx that is gorgeous moss! How in the world do you keep it so short, you must be trimming it constantly! I don't even have ideal plant conditions (from what I've read on this board) and I can't keep up with trimming my moss.

Here is a page you might find interesting to read, it is entitled "Differentiating Christmas from Java".

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200108/msg00733.html

I guess the 'key' is in the little spores you have pictured. As keely said -quote- When I change the conditions it takes on a different look. -unquote- The moss I have is all from the same source, yet in one tank it grows the spores, and in the others, it doesn't.

keely

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Much as I enjoy reading James Purchase and Loh Kwek Leong, that article wasn't very illuminating.

LKL says, "One way to differentiate Christmas from Java would be to look for spores. I'm not sure if that is what they are called but I'm referring to the little brown stalks with something like a bud at the end of it. It looks like a comma. Christmas moss will usually have some such spores but I have never seen them on Java. Christmas moss grown emmersed will produce many spores."

Which would make virtually ALL moss I've ever seen here in southern Ontario Christmas moss, since I've rarely seen any without spores, and any I got without spores produced spores readily.

James says "Since mosses only develop these structures when grown emersed, folks with mosses growing entirely submerged may never see them." Er... if I had a camera I would be happy to show all the 3 submerged clumps in one tank which repeatedly sprout the structures entirely submerged. They've never been emersed since I got them.

I'm not kidding when I say one of my clumps of long, straggly threads, which James describes as Java moss, originated as one single piece which was identical to the Christmas tree shaped piece in the first photo -- triangular growth of tightly spaced branches.

I have not yet seen a visual method of identifying Java moss versus Christmas moss which doesn't run afoul of what I see in my own tanks, because the moss morphs into very different growth patterns depending on where I put it.

I'm quite interested in hearing from anyone who can verify that these are different species, what the scientific name of Christmas moss would be, and a surefire way of identifying it.

Until then, I call it all Java moss. :rolleyes:

Ken91gsx

AC Members
Feb 8, 2002
The Big Apple, NY
Java Moss

Thanks for the info Keely & Kveeti on the Moss. The spores that they are referring to might not be the ones in my picture. By spores they might mean buds on the tip of each new growth. On the end of every new growth is a very light green bud. That might be what they mean by spores.
The other question is how does Willow moss look like?

keely

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the spores didn't refer to the light green growing tips... the description of the stalk with the bulb on the end like a comma would be hard to confuse with new growth I think.

Willow moss usually refers to Fontinalis species, particularly F. antipyretica. Judging by the name "antipyretica" you should be able to make a nice fever-reducing drink from it too ;) Some grow in cold water and don't do well at tropical temperatures.

Haven't seen any real agreement anywhere on whether Christmas moss is a Fontinalis or a Vesicularia species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store