When add dechlorinator?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Huggz_the_Fishkeeper

Registered Member
Dec 22, 2021
When should I add the dechlorinator? I see the pythons fill directly from the tap, but that does not help with treating the water first. My question is can I refill with untreated water then add Prime after the refill, will that hurt the fish?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I normally add declorinator when i start filling the aquarium not after.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
If you are using a hose or Python to refill the aquarium directly from your faucet, add Prime as you are filling the tank AND dose for the entire aquarium volume, not just for the amount of water being replaced.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
If you are going straight from tap to tank, dechlorinate the tank before you add the water :)

Huggz_the_Fishkeeper

Registered Member
Dec 22, 2021
Thanks guys I appreciate it, I wish I had asked this question when I still had my 150. I do not know why it never occurred to me to use the python for refills. I only used for first fills.

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Haha! I only use my python for refilling if I change more than 1 tank. It's not worth the hassle of unwinding, draining it & winding up 50ft of hose for just 1 tank. I'm not sure if it's better exercise to do that or carry many gallon jugs of (dechlored w/Prime, 2 drops/gal) water to refill. My arms & back hurt either way so I'm pretty sure either works toward a better body, lol.

I live where it's always a drought so I remove water to buckets or python out the door to favorite landscape plants. I add dechlor before tap water refill & dose heavily like dudley does, or almost. I have lots of plants so I don't worry much.

When I lived in a different (East Coast) house, I Pythoned into a bath tub with a strainer over the drain to catch plant debris & refilled from the kitchen sink. With a 50ft hose I could reach all my tanks, a small footprint house but with lots more tanks than now...but freezing temps outside so the bathtub was a better option. It really depends on your tank & house set up what as to will work best. I've always been envious of the people who only have a turn of a spigot to both drain & refill...mostly from my brief fling with hardcore discus keepers, some are very intense & motivated people too...but mostly not for just a couple tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store