When is it too soon / late to change carbon filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I use a Tetra Whisper 60 and Penguin Bio-Wheel HOB filters. One uses the Bio-Bags and the other the blue carbon filter inserts - if you were to replace carbon, what media is suggested? If I were to replace the new carbon filters I had placed in there last weekend, will it affect the tank's cycle?
(disclaimer...FW guy)

I have several whisper filters; I use nylon stocking (pantyhose legs) over the filter frame; just tie off both ends. It makes a great particulate filter and I can get 6-8 out of a pair of PH....how's THAT for cheap?! (lighter colors preferred...less dye)

When I want carbon I use the Imagine Bio3 replacements. Cheap in quantity and a better design than the bio bag. The imagine filters come with a replacement frame in the box, too.

Ditto both of the the above suggestions for the penguin HOB. You may be able to cut off the floss from the frame and do the pantyhose trick with it, too.

It doesn't hurt to have the carbon in there...I'd let it go a few weeks...If you have 2 filters on the tank, alternate changing them-that should help keep your cycle going..

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
The weave of those inserts isn't nearly as dense as filter floss. I buy it at the sewing store as pillow stuffing, for cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store