Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

White coloring on betta spreading

Discussion in 'Anabantoids' started by eohippus, Jan 25, 2017.

1. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    Saturday at 7:01 PM
    Joel
    With that number of fish in 5gal of water, I'd have to question your nitrate reading. That doesn't seem right IMO. What test kit do you use? Very common to not do the test properly with the API master test kit nitrate test.

2. big54bob

big54bob AC Members

Mar 23, 2017
    Can you get him to flair? My money is that he's a marble betta. Marble Bettas tend to change colors throuigh out there lifetime. I had a red and white betta who went from mostly white with red splotches on his back to haveing a red skunk strip over his back.

FreshyFresh likes this.
  3. eohippus

eohippus AC Members

Feb 16, 2017
    FreshyFresh, I do use the liquid API test and I can understand how easy it would be to do it wrong since there are multiple steps. I'm kind of neurotic though and do it exactly as the card says, using my kitchen timer to make sure I mix and wait long enough. I think the results are correct -- I don't overfeed (at least I don't think I do), they are tiny fish except for the betta, I have big plants and I never slack on the water changes.

4. eohippus

eohippus AC Members

Feb 16, 2017
    I don't think I can make him flare, but would that tell me something about his coloring? I just looked up what a marble betta is and the first google hit looks exactly like my fish! I think that's what he is!! Thank you!

5. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    Joel
    Sounds good! I was just asking because it's so easy to do wrong. Very cool that it is working for you with the 75% WWC. Just kind of unusual given 10 fish in 5g of water. Is the 10ppm nitrates you are reading being measured just before your WWC?

6. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    Joel
    Sounds good! I was just asking because it's so easy to do wrong. Very cool that it is working for you with the 75% WWC. Just kind of unusual given 10 fish in 5g of water. Is the 10ppm nitrates you are reading being measured just before your WWC?

7. eohippus

eohippus AC Members

Feb 16, 2017
    this is him today. IMG_1238.JPG

8. eohippus

eohippus AC Members

Feb 16, 2017
    Yes, I only do it right before a water change so I can see where the water is at its worst. I also did the test right when I came back from my trip, so that I could see where the water was at over 8 days and it was no worse (I changed the water right way anyway).

FreshyFresh likes this.
  9. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Yesterday at 2:43 PM
    Tiff
    He looks great. I do agree that it is just a colour change you are experiencing. He's gorgeous.

10. big54bob

big54bob AC Members

Mar 23, 2017
  11. eohippus

eohippus AC Members

Feb 16, 2017
    That's him alright! The article is fascinating. Thanks for sharing it.