White Spot On Bristlenose Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PotatoFish21

AC Members
Jul 28, 2020
So I have had this bristlenose pleco (male) for around 8 months now. There has not been anything wrong with it until I noticed it not eating as much and hiding behind the filter quite often. I noticed it has a white spot on it's head. And I don't think it's small enough to be ich (and there is only 1 spot on the plecos head) so I'm not exactly sure what's wrong. There are 4 Black widow tetras, 1 pentazona barb, 4 neon tetras and 2 other plecos. I'm going to get a water tester kit today (will send what I get as soon as I can), does anyone know what could be wrong with it? Has anyone seen anything like this? And what treatment should I look into? I'm also going to do a water change today as it is due to be done. Thankyou for any help!Pleco1.jpgPleco2.jpgPleco3.jpgPleco4.jpg
Sorry for the low quality images, the pleco just came out from the back of the filter moved around a bit and retreated back.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
So I have had this bristlenose pleco (male) for around 8 months now. There has not been anything wrong with it until I noticed it not eating as much and hiding behind the filter quite often. I noticed it has a white spot on it's head. And I don't think it's small enough to be ich (and there is only 1 spot on the plecos head) so I'm not exactly sure what's wrong. There are 4 Black widow tetras, 1 pentazona barb, 4 neon tetras and 2 other plecos. I'm going to get a water tester kit today (will send what I get as soon as I can), does anyone know what could be wrong with it? Has anyone seen anything like this? And what treatment should I look into? I'm also going to do a water change today as it is due to be done. Thankyou for any help!View attachment 229132View attachment 229133View attachment 229134View attachment 229135
Sorry for the low quality images
aaa what r u rambling on? LOL. U got better camera than my ipad has XD

u should have:

6 barbs or more
6 neon tetras or more

there is a rule one plec per tank u less it is lets say 100+ gallon tank? They get pretty aggressive from time to time and are territorial animals. My BN rips my other fishes fins and head butts them.

and ye, it is normal for them to hide under things during day. I rarely see mine. Do you provide your pleco some wood? They need it.

what size is the tank? What are exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

there is a possibilty that he wedged him self in small crack somewhere in the tank or got in a fight with another pleco. But best for you to provide water test results.

what are the other 2 plecos? R those BNs?

• Wow
Reactions: dudley

PotatoFish21

AC Members
Jul 28, 2020
Hello, I appreciate the reply. The tank is a 90l. My Bristlenose plecos can be aggressive sometimes as well, I have a young male, a slightly older young male and a very young pleco who's gender I am unsure of (the slightly older young male is the one with the spot). I have a large driftwood log in the center of my tank which they like hiding in and chilling at. I am still yet to get my water test kit as my previous supply ran out. All the plecos are Bristlenose. I have just done a water change (I'm still technically doing it because the water here is extremely cold due to the harsh cold weather outside so the water needs to be near a radiator for at least an hour to heat up naturally). I did notice that the spot got slightly smaller prior to the water change, and the BN pleco was being a bit more active. When I get the water tester kit, I will send the nitrate, PH etc numbers. Thanks again for your reply.

Reactions: Sprinkle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Could be just the pics, but that pleco looks very skinny. What are you feeding it/them?

Reactions: Sprinkle

PotatoFish21

AC Members
Jul 28, 2020
Could be just the pics, but that pleco looks very skinny. What are you feeding it/them?
I have just fed them as they were due to be fed today. I put a sprinkle of flakes in and 2 algae pellets which I split into 4 bits. Although I had noticed that the plexiglass had been eating less, it has been moving about more so I’m hoping it will go for a pellet.
upon further inspection I have noticed it eating which is great! Also the white spot seems to have faded a bit, I’m starting to feel it may have been a wound done by another fish or the terrain. However, when my water tester comes I can have a more clear understanding on what the problem may beimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Watch the ingredient list on your sinking wafers. Make sure they have whole fish and veggie matter in the first few ingredients. Not grains and fillers.

I also sink bits of cucumber for my BN plecos. Blanched zucchini is better.

Keep up on your weekly water changes. I never do less than a 50% weekly.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Plexi glass? o_O

TY for upclose pics, it confirms he just wedged himself in small place and lost few scales on his head.

Watch the ingredient list on your sinking wafers. Make sure they have whole fish and veggie matter in the first few ingredients. Not grains and fillers.

I also sink bits of cucumber for my BN plecos. Blanched zucchini is better.

Keep up on your weekly water changes. I never do less than a 50% weekly.
+1. Best algae wafers are those by Hikari brand

Plecos would get good use of meaty foods like daphnia, artemia and some mysis shrimp.
Courgettes are good too, melons (cantaloupes), carrots and potatos are good to.

50% is good, but more can be done to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store