Whos my most likely nipping culprit?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Badlandsghost

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2019
Hello all.
Recently got back into the hobby for the first time since i was a kid. We currently have a 16gal w a 28 coming as soon as i get a stand built. I noticed tonight that 2 of the guppies i added a week or so ago have been badly chewed up (1 has started hiding under the hob filter sponge.) Current tank mates are 4 zebra glow dannios, 4 tetras (2 glow and 2 black skirt) and several coreys. Im not looking at the coreys obviously, and havent witnessed any actual agression. Any opinions on who my best suspects would be? Imleaning towards the danios as they seem to be more all over the place and i have seen the biggest chase some of the others but all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks again
J

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'd say it's the skirts or danios...you don't have enough of either to displace their natural behaviors or enough tank space to add more. That nippy-thing is a part of schooling for many fish.

Guppies swim slower & are often targets with their long colorful fins.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of a 28g, but at 3+ inches skirt tetra adults are likely too big. Danios are pretty fast swimmers & maybe too active. I'm not sure but some "glow tetras" are skirt tetras.

Can you post pics of your fish yet? & add the size of your 28g please...

Badlandsghost

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2019
Its not letting me post the pic but i am leaning towards it being the danios. Ive been watching them closely since last night and they seem to be pushing the guppies back into the corners.(1 guppy died last night). I still havent actually seen any nipping but im going to have to asap getting the stand done so i can separate them.
Thanks
J

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Don't rule out the skirts either. 6 of each species, tetras or danios (of any color), is a minimum to reduce this natural nippy behavior. Your 28g is likely too small for many 3 inch skirts but this is not a tank size I'm familiar with. Again, what are it's dimensions?

Badlandsghost

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2019
Actually theyre in the 16gal right now, the 28 is the one im making the stand for. I still havent seen any of the tetras act aggressive, they seen to like hanging out mid tank in front center. The danios are pretty consistently spread out towards the top and they keep herding the last guppy into the corner. Im planning on getting a 5gal tomorrow that will eventually have shrimp in it, but i think itll hold the danios till the bigger tanks ready.
The big tanks 30.5x18x11.5. Somebody left it in the lot at my old job, so i looked up the capacity by its dimensions.
Thanks
J

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, in my old tank standards, I'm going to say it's like a 29g...Small for skirt tetras & not quite big enough for danios but better. Guppies are just not a good fit with either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store