Why am i not having good luck with corys?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Ok explain to me how the corys wouldnt die in a quarentine but would in a main tank. I didnt quarentine bc i tried quarentining juli corys and they all died. Is there something special you need to quarentine corys like substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
In my experience, substrate can be good for bottom dwellers in quarantine. Just a light substrate. It helps keep away any nasty that may form from uneaten food or a dirty tank even with wc/cleaning. I quarantine everything I get, to be safe as it's better to have the new fish die off (even if they were expensive) than the old ones in the main tank. Plus the qt tank is easy to clean, observe for any parasites/diseases, and medicate. I even tell my buyers to qt fish they get from me. Don't want to spread anything. If this has happened from the same LFS with other stock, I wouldn't trust it even though they say they qt the fish. Best to figure out what is killing your new fish before buying/adding more to the tank.

Where they non-active when you bought them or did this just start today? Was the fish flashing against rocks/plants?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
This is the first time ive bought corys from them. I got he julis from petco. No rubbing or anything. They were super active in the tank at the store and pretty active in the bag and the drip acclimation container and then at the beginning they were active in the tank and now they just hide in the rocks or under my lily plant.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Maybe they caught something from the display tank? A lot of fish don't show signs of disease/parasites until later on. That's why it's good to use quarantine for a few weeks for new fish.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Yea i just had a bad experience with quarentine so i decided to skip it. Gonna go get me a tote tomorrow and put a seeded filter on it for a quarentine when i go o exchange them. Hopefully the last 3 live.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Just because you trust the store doesn't mean that they may not have been infected and just not showing outward symptoms. Do you know how long they were in the store's tanks before you purchased? The stress from a move and acclimation into a new environment could just as easily add on to a preexisting condition and done them in...

There's really no such thing as a "bad experience" with QT itself. Chances are the same thing would have happened in the display tank, which is the point of QT...to target treat the problem without it affecting your other, healthy fish.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
So when i go to get the rest of the corys ad exchange the dead ones. I will set up about a 10 gallon plastic tote with a precycled sponge filter and some pool filter sand. Does this sound ok?

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I don't add new fish to fish I already have in quarantine. I keep every fish batch I get in separate when I get them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store