Why can't you buy guppy females at petland?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
It was all speculation to begin with. lmao. The whole 50 50 debate was so far off so far as breeding guppies in the general aquarium lmao. Anyways, no matter what proof folks think they can provide with regards to it being 'unusual' that the female ratio was higher in not only mine but other peoples tanks kinda disproved the 50 50 point. So I think im done now with the discussion lol.
First, a few tanks doesn't "prove" much of anything, the sample size is still way way WAY too small. Nowhere near large enough to draw a conclusion about the genetic tendencies of guppies as a species.

What's more, you can't sex them at birth; What is the survival rate? The survival rates of each sex differs depending on environmental changes(which I posted a reference to earlier in this thread). The authors of that paper noted that they were able to observe ratios that differed from 50/50, though not significant. They concluded that this was likely to do with the survival rates of each sex.

As I've said, this isn't the kind of thing you can determine in a home aquarium. Does anyone have anything that's been put together by a lab and published, aside from what I posted? It says, though this isn't the focus of the paper, that 50/50 is the norm. Survival rates might not match that, and because it's random you're never guaranteed that ratio.

Want to try out a random walk for yourself? Grab your jar of pennies, take out 40 of them, and scatter them on the floor from high-above so they flip around. Do you have
exactly 20 heads and 20 tails? I doubt it.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Joe, i would stop drinking your tapwater if i were you... look what it's doing to your fish..:laugh:

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
OK. From research I think I have a handle on this.

Most male guppies are XY, females XX, as in humans. Naturally that means half the sperm are X and half Y, which is why one would expect a 50:50 ratio of males and females.

Normally this is what happens.

However, guppy sex determination is slightly complicated by the fact that there are other sex markers dotted on the non-sex chromosomes. Normally these are balanced, and so sex is determined by the X and Y chromosomes. But not always. In some strains there are an excess of male markers which can result in exceptional XX males. Mate an XX male with an XX female and you get all XX offspring - most of which will be female, but a few of which will be, like their fathers, exceptional XX males. Voila - a skewed sex ratio in some strains.

The article I linked to on the previous page points out there's more to it than that -my theory earlier that some males are weak in some strains is borne out by their mention of accumulation of deleterious Y alleles, so even normal XY/XX crosses can result in skewed ratios where inbreeding has weakened the Y chromosome.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
ok.. i see breeding statistics, but nothing to support hermaphroditic or full on gender changing abilities.

SamNYC

How do you define real?
Aug 14, 2008
NYC
I didn't know guppies could change sex. How is this done and can the aquarist control it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store