Why is PH changing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Ha ha, a little post mining. Interesting topic, you struck gold on this one.

Without getting into the physics and chemistry of tar paper roof water, there are a couple clues here. I think it may be a combination of a couple things. First, he started dosing ferts making his plants accelerate which could have caused a lowering of the KH making the PH less stable. Also the rainwater being added could be lowering the PH although he states that his smaller tank gets the same treatment and is still stable. Assuming that he is changing water at the same percentage and frequency in both tanks would tend to rule out the rain water. That really just leaves the increased plant activity. Lastly, his filters being plugged could have added to the problem with reduced filtration/circulation and the acidic by-products of decaying matter in the filters.

Then again I could have completely missed something obvious but it was a fun exercise anyway.

And my answer for how to treat his water would be to use alkaline and acid buffers to raise the GH and KH while targeting a specific PH. A much better answer than just using shells or baking soda since it can be measured and provide specific results.

Last edited:

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
nice answer, difference with this is i dont know if any of the guys are still here so we cant ask questions - theory only enjoy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store