Wondering, whats the relationship: AC & MFK ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Honestly with monster fish it’s just a sacrifice, people keep tangs which swim miles in a day in 75 gallon tanks (they need at very least 300 for good health) which is horrible and same with oscars and things. imo tank size depends on the fish, a 12” gymnotus javari veriscens or caparo can live in a 20 long but a funny orange and blue 3” tetra needs a 3-4’ tank
Uhhhm, really no 12" fish should ever be kept in any 20 gallon tank, except maybe for a grow out tank until the fish is a few inches long. But I don't think that's really what this thread is about.

WYite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
No they can, they are basically a underwater snake. They play dead like a leaf half the time, they are knifefish
Okay, they can. The question is whether they should. There is a difference. To repeat, "really no 12" fish should ever be kept in any 20 gallon tank". You're doing the fish a disservice.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

ykthaname

AC Members
Apr 3, 2021
Honestly with monster fish it’s just a sacrifice, people keep tangs which swim miles in a day in 75 gallon tanks (they need at very least 300 for good health) which is horrible and same with oscars and things. imo tank size depends on the fish, a 12” gymnotus javari veriscens or caparo can live in a 20 long but a funny orange and blue 3” tetra needs a 3-4’ tank
yes this comparison you made up definitely encapsulates an entire forum with some of the most experienced freshwater fish keepers on the internet.

• Haha

ykthaname

AC Members
Apr 3, 2021
Uhhhm, really no 12" fish should ever be kept in any 20 gallon tank, except maybe for a grow out tank until the fish is a few inches long. But I don't think that's really what this thread is about.

WYite
i think you just blew everyone’s mind here.

• Angry

ykthaname

AC Members
Apr 3, 2021
No they can, they are basically a underwater snake. They play dead like a leaf half the time, they are knifefish
no they cant. when i first saw someone say you cant keep 12” fish in a 20 i thought they were joking because who in their right mind would think a foot long fish could fit in a tank that they can barely even turn around in. im not saying this for the sake of argument. websites say 55 gallons is the minimum for these types of sedentary knife fish and websites are notorious and criticized for recommending tank sizes way to small for a large fish to comfortably live. while you may see them swaying back in forth pretending to be grass when theyre trying to camouflage they have plenty of other behaviors, you probably just wont see the behavior because the lights are off. a 20 gallon tank is exactly 12” wide you must be out of your damn mind or just plain irresponsible if you think ANY fish over 10” can live in a 20. infact id go as far as to say that if you keep fish bigger than 5” in a 20 gallon its just plain unethical. you are exactly the type of fishkeeper the people on this thread are speaking poorly about. this sh*t simply wouldnt fly on mfk.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
i think you just blew everyone’s mind here.
Sarcasm does not behoove you.

no they cant. when i first saw someone say you cant keep 12” fish in a 20 i thought they were joking because who in their right mind would think a foot long fish could fit in a tank that they can barely even turn around in. im not saying this for the sake of argument. websites say 55 gallons is the minimum for these types of sedentary knife fish and websites are notorious and criticized for recommending tank sizes way to small for a large fish to comfortably live. while you may see them swaying back in forth pretending to be grass when theyre trying to camouflage they have plenty of other behaviors, you probably just wont see the behavior because the lights are off. a 20 gallon tank is exactly 12” wide you must be out of your damn mind or just plain irresponsible if you think ANY fish over 10” can live in a 20. infact id go as far as to say that if you keep fish bigger than 5” in a 20 gallon its just plain unethical. you are exactly the type of fishkeeper the people on this thread are speaking poorly about. this sh*t simply wouldnt fly on mfk.
Same thing I already said above...

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store