Worried Owner - Overfed Oranda :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Water changes are the solution. Be sure to use temperature matched, conditioned water. A good conditioner is Prime, by Seachem. It removes chlorine, chloramine, detoxifies ammonia and nitrite traces, nitrate, too.

When you find detectable ammonia and/or nitrite you do a water change. Sometimes daily during the early days of a tank, while it's still cycling. Monitor your parameters carefully while you are cycling the tank. When ammonia is 0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm and you have nitrate levels then your tank is cycled.

Once cycled, you continue to do frequent water changes to remove excess DOC (dissolved organic compounds) and nitrate that is over 20ppm or thereabouts.

Frequent water changes keep your fish in a healthy environment and helps their immune system stay strong.

There's a "sticky" at the top of the Newbie forum that discusses the process of cycling the tank. It's a very good read and will be very helpful.

Of course, don't hesitate to come here for help and support. :)

Mezz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2011
was pellets but was told to feed them flakes and since i have been not had any problems at all :)

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i feed once a day in the mornings before i take off for the day overfeeding is a common problem for newbies. good luck and dont worry once a day is plenty they wont starve. they also like small peas and very small pieces of green beans i cook them till they are soft and easy to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store