Would A Male Betta Get Along With 4 Albino Cories?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaNoob

AC Members
Mar 5, 2017
Connersville
Real Name
Kylee
I have a 22 gallon tank with a male betta and 2 female guppies. I was wanting to get some bottom feeders. Would a Betta be okay with Albino Cories? Also can Cories be kept in a tank with gravel instead of sand?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm assuming 22g is a long tank. But get 6 corys ;) for maximum fun & happiness. Small gravel is just ok; it depends on your vacuuming & water changes...gravel can hold more "crap" than say, sand. But cleanliness is more important size of substrate.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You should be fine, but as said above go with six of them for sure. Or get pygmy cories and go with more!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I wouldn't think 'pygmy' cories would count as bottom dwellers, unless you are counting Habrosus (I wouldn't say Pygmaeus or Hastatus)

Or consider one of the species of Aspidoras.

But yeah, clean water and the larger the group the better...

mechtech

AC Members
Sep 21, 2020
cories are prone to ich so before ading anything new quarintine them and keep a bottle of ich medicine on standby

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Sprinkle, Bettas can be kept with other fish. I have a betta with white clouds, another with neons and another in my 40 Breeder community. It all depends on the betta’s personality.

Corydoras do best in groups of 6 or more. The more the merrier with them, but also depends on tank size to.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Sprinkle, Bettas can be kept with other fish. I have a betta with white clouds, another with neons and another in my 40 Breeder community. It all depends on the betta’s personality.
No, no they cannot. Fish release pheromones where other species read this as allomones and it stresses them out leading to tensions between the species of fish where the other species will nip at his fins or he turns his back on you and will kill every single fish in the tank, it all depends on pheromones not on bettas personality.
II watched a betta in my lfs breathing hard, pacing and then kill every single fish that was in the tank, there were over 20 fish in the tank and he managed to kill every one of them. I have him in my own home. Another time, I watched a betta eat a mature neon tetra whole! Not. Recommended. Period.
OP, listen to me not them. You cannot keep bettas in community settings, they even in the wild are solitary unless breeding, but once the female laid her eggs, the male chases her out of his territory and kills her or she has to swim away or be killed. They are that aggressive fish.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
No, no they cannot. Fish release pheromones where other species read this as allomones and it stresses them out leading to tensions between the species of fish where the other species will nip at his fins or he turns his back on you and will kill every single fish in the tank, it all depends on pheromones not on bettas personality.
II watched a betta in my lfs breathing hard, pacing and then kill every single fish that was in the tank, there were over 20 fish in the tank and he managed to kill every one of them. I have him in my own home. Another time, I watched a betta eat a mature neon tetra whole! Not. Recommended. Period.
OP, listen to me not them. You cannot keep bettas in community settings, they even in the wild are solitary unless breeding, but once the female laid her eggs, the male chases her out of his territory and kills her or she has to swim away or be killed. They are that aggressive fish.
Strange, I kept bettas with other fish for years and never had them kill other fish. I at one point had a trio of females and a male koi betta in a 55 gallon tank with angels, tetras, corydoras and a pictus catfish, no fighting or anything. Not recommended to keep a male with females but they were together for a few months before the tank leaked.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Strange, I kept bettas with other fish for years and never had them kill other fish. I at one point had a trio of females and a male koi betta in a 55 gallon tank with angels, tetras, corydoras and a pictus catfish, no fighting or anything. Not recommended to keep a male with females but they were together for a few months before the tank leaked.
Because they all have been stressed :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store