WTF! ALL tanks went green! help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
<note: this is a reprint. still having issues. advice welcome>

I've been a fan of the EI method for about 2 years now. I have followed a modified EI method (lowered Phosphates to 0.1 instead of 0.5 because of green water issues) to fertilization with a great deal of success.

However, I've been having problems lately. I've had a breakout of green water across all three of my tanks within the last few weeks...I think I know why, but I would very much like an opinion for a possible fix and also suggestions on a dosing regimen afterwards.

As an aside, I am not able to do a blackout as I have in the distant past. Elatine Triandra (the main plant in all three tanks) is incredibly sensitive to lack of light. Currently, I have a Laguna Power Clear UV Sterilizer that is being swapped between each of the three tanks, every few days, to try and alleviate the problem. I understand this is not a fix, but just enough to keep me from tearing out my hair when I look at the tanks.

Recent Tank History:
About 6 weeks ago, I began to move all three tanks to a biweekly schedule. I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea. Since last Saturday, I have played around with the dosing to try and determine the issue. The 240 has had NO chems since then, the 55#1 has had it's normal dosing MINUS the Phosphates, and the 55#2 has had it's normal dosing.
I perform 50% water changes every week, except for the last 6 weeks (as stated above). As fertilizers, I use Plantex CSM+B, Fleet, Green Light Stump Remover, No-Salt and Epsom Salts. Here are the current tank parameters (as of 09/27/2005, 4am "local time") :

240G
Actual water volume - 160 gallons
440W CF lights, 11 hr photo period
Profile substrate
4 bps CO2
GH - 15
KH - 5
nitrAtes - 10
pH - 6.6
Ammo - 0
tempRange - 83-86
nitrItes - 0
Phosphates - 0.2
Dosing regimen at Water Change --
Phosphates - 15 drops @ WC
CMS+B - 20 ml @ WC
Iodine - 5 ml @ WC
NitrAtes - 1 tsp @ WC
Magnesium - 4 tsp @ WC
Potassium - 3 tsp @ WC
Daily Dosing regimen --
CSM+B - 10 ml daily
Phosphates - 5 drops, M,W,F

55G #1
Actual water volume- 30 gallons
110W CF lights, 11 hr photo period
Profile substrate
<1 bps CO2
GH - 13
KH - 3
nitrAtes - 5
pH - 6.5
Ammo - 0
tempRange - 84-87
nitrItes - 0
Phosphates - 0.2
Phosphates - 3 drops @ WC
CMS+B - 5 ml @ WC
Iodine - 1 ml @ WC
NitrAtes - 3/16 tsp @ WC
Magnesium - 3/4 tsp @ WC
Potassium - 1 tsp @ WC
Daily Dosing regimen --
CSM+B - 1.5 ml daily
Phosphates - 1 drop, M,W,F

55G #2
Actual water volume- 30 gallons
110W CF lights, 11 hr photo period
Flourite substrate
2 bps CO2
GH - 14
KH - 7
nitrAtes - <5
pH - 6.9
Ammo - 0
tempRange - 84-87
nitrItes - 0
Phosphates - 0.1
Phosphates - 3 drops @ WC
CMS+B - 5 ml @ WC
Iodine - 1 ml @ WC
NitrAtes - 3/16 tsp @ WC
Magnesium - 3/4 tsp @ WC
Potassium - 1 tsp @ WC
Daily Dosing regimen --
CSM+B - 1.5 ml daily
Phosphates - 1 drop, M,W,F

Tap water --
Phosphates - 0.1
GH - 10
KH - 5
nitrAtes - 0
Ammo - 0
nitrItes - 0

I'm a little worried about the pH readings. They seem awfully low for the early morning, I would expect that level of pH about 2 hours into the photoperiod. I'm trying to decide if the problem is in the nitrAtes or the CO2. The temps are very high, mostly because the wife won't let me keep the tanks anywhere but a small room off of the garage. I've had temps higher than this, so I don't think this is the major cause of the GW. Again, I would appreciate advice on this issue and I would also very much appreciate suggestions on dosing regimens for the three tanks.

Thank you very much in advance!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Tim, I haven't really studied your post well, but why are you dosing for such a low P content? When you limit any of the elements, you limit growth which as you know can lead to your present condition. IMO, you are really under dosing the P across the board, compared with the other numbers you report for N and K.
How are the plants growing?
Is your current plant mass similar to the pictures the 'Timm's Tanks' link takes me to?
You know I have to ask this question......have you used any plant tabs or any other 'in-substrate' ferts. recently?
Have you been dosing this regimen for a long time and just had this outbreak a few weeks ago? Seems strange that all three would react at once even though your numbers are off in all three (IMO:)).
I will come back after a bit and study this situation a little more deeply. The things I mention above just jumped out at me.

Len

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Low Phos because of GW issues in the past.
Plants have been growing whole hog, even now.
Plant mass is even more than those pix.
No tabs. I learned the hard way.
Been using these schedules for almost a year now. Just recently went to biweekly and everything hit the fan. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store