WTF is a target fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
i was gettin some feeders this weekend and my LFS just got a couple really cool fish, one of which is a target fish. these lil guys look like they get real big, they look similar to a bone fish (good fly fishing) but are a pale silver with circular black lines that start in the middle of their back, hense "target"

i most likely wont get one, but would like to know some more about this species.

can anyone spare me a little information?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Do a search on google. There should be a decent amount of info. The little that I know is they are a brackish/saltwater fish that grows to around 9 inches in size and are highly predatory on small fish. They do make good tankmates for Monos, Scats, Archers,etc though and are really cool looking from the top, kinda bland from the side. Google should provide a wealth more of info! Hope this helps!

cherrypie

Home Of The Punk Rock Fish
Jul 19, 2005
Perth, Australia
Try searching for "targetfish" (one word) or "Terapon jarbua".

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
good call. i did some research and am a little tenative about thier gill spike(s)
i have a 75 gallon brackish set up that ill list here
TOP LEVEL DWELLERS
i have 3 mono argens
2 golden archers
and two pairs of breeding black mollies that are in and out depending on their breeding cycles. (using the fry as food)
BOTTOM DWELLERS
black tipped shark (6in)
violet goby (20in)
freshwater moray(gymnothorax tile?, 16in)
and 3 bumblebee gobys.

are target fish solitary or shoaling fish?
i have come across mixed information about their compatability with archers and monos, some saying they're great, others saying that they used thier gill spines as OFFENSIVE weapons, serriously damaging other fish in the tank.

i know my tank is currently pretty full, but i would like to add a couple other species.
my hope would be that i could get one small one. my plan is to get a 100+gallon marine set up when the painting season starts up again for the monos, and then split my current fish accordingly.

if i were to do this, do you think that my aquarium could support another fish? a targetfish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store