Xanthid Crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Well, most hitchikers that I have gotten have been fun except for one. I started to notice that I was buying a lot of snails just to keep a base number in tact for algae control. Then I noticed that my small hermits were starting to disappear. One night during the typical "moonlight" observation watch I saw a crab that I didn't put in there around where all the shells were congregating. Got the flashlight and noticed that this one, about 2" max had dark ends to the claws. I couldn't get it out becuase of its location in my rock formation and it went inside the rock itself (about a 35# rock).

I had the misfortune of having to get up becuase the electricity went off and for someone who sleeps through fire alarms can figure out why I get up when all goes dead silent...but I did/do.

I caught the tank before the sump overflowed and also caught the crab out in the open at one end of the reef tank. Plucked it out, but not til after it got my solarensis wrasse. I was really perturbed.

Needless to say the crab has gone the watery way and will not be in my tank.

I tried putting traps or baiting with silversides and it would grab them but I couldn't pull him out of the tank.

At least my tank is back to 'normal'.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
why not drill the supply line to your sump so that it doesnt overflow? its what i did with mine and it has saved my floor numerous times!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I am not tracking, can you describe it a little more fully. I appreciate the suggestion.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
I am not tracking, can you describe it a little more fully. I appreciate the suggestion.

I dont know if ill be explaining this right, but here i go with what i recently learned.

for the line that is siphoning water out of your main tank to your sump/fug you should have a box (overflow?) that the pipe sits in. The box will have cutouts in it to allow water to fill it so much. So when your power goes out, the siphon will keep going only til it emptys the box.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Terribly sorry to hear that. I had a large Cancrid that was eating everything (back when I had a 29 gallon). Tricky little creatures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store