ya'll makin my want goldfish grrrrrrr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
if i went with goldfish would i need a heater? without heaters tank dont get above 74 ( 68 to 72 ) and what kind can i have in my 75/80?? i was told ( well i read ) 20 gallons per fancy then 10 gallon for every other fancy. so that means i can have 7 fancy in my 75/80 right?? what about dojo loaches?? i may even add danios ( dont know if im goin this route yet just researchin first )

any other info u can provide?

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
LBF- Don't do goldfish. They are more trouble than they are worth. I see them as being immensely challenging. I keep three large tanks of them, and they take much more time than any other fish I have kept. Technically, no, you don't need a heater for them, but you need a lot of space, really frequent water changes (up to 40% per week, depending on filtration, substrate and other issues) and HUGE levels of filtration for them to be happy. No one likes a sad goldfish :)

So many other things to spend time and money on-- like saving and planning for your future along the lines of the other threads you've started. Best of luck :)

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I would do whatever is easiest for you to manage and what you know best (and can potentially transport) in the future.- Just a personal opinion. Goldfish would be neither.

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
LBF- Don't do goldfish. They are more trouble than they are worth. I see them as being immensely challenging. I keep three large tanks of them, and they take much more time than any other fish I have kept. Technically, no, you don't need a heater for them, but you need a lot of space, really frequent water changes (up to 40% per week, depending on filtration, substrate and other issues) and HUGE levels of filtration for them to be happy. No one likes a sad goldfish :)

So many other things to spend time and money on-- like saving and planning for your future along the lines of the other threads you've started. Best of luck :)
I have to agree that goldfish are a lot of work, but I personally think they are worth the work, money, and time spent on them if you really enjoy the fish and are able to put out what they need.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
:goldfish: i love my goldfish, and i think they are well worth the hard work and extra time/effort they seem to need. mine are at a permanent 75* as i cant lower the temp, it just sits at this all the time.

as for stocking levels,im overstocked in my 180, i have 14 at the moment, 15 by the end of the week as i have one in quarantine that i got hold of from a small tank with 3 aquatic frogs at my cousins boyfriends house( 2 foot tank, 1 oranda and 3 aquatic frogs, 6 months+ with only water top offs :irked: )! he wanted me to take the frogs too, but they can stay with him until he finds them a new home. i wont say how many id keep in your tank, but i have to do 70-80% water changes on mine every weekend and im running a lot of filtration on my tank,and have live plants too. serves me right for keeping too many fish in there i guess. i dont mind, anything to keep them happy. i certainly agree though, goldfish are definately harder work than any other fish ive kept.

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
I've gotta agree on the not starting a new huge tank if you're planning on moving soon. It was hard enough to move the 25 and stand when empty and not worried about killing a bio filter. Now I'm looking at moving 150 miles with it, keeping the residents in tact when I get there. That's been the main reason I didn't start my 30 gallon salt tank, that and money not spent on Live Rock, heathers, etc is money I can spend on getting the hell out of here. Excuse the language, but I'm a boomeranger. I moved out, the recession hit and I lost my job and back in with the parents I went- you don't know how much you don't miss having your ma looking over your shoulder all the time until you dont have to deal with it anymore, haha.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
All things considered, I am sticking to my guns in this particular case. I didn't mean to suggest they weren't worth the time, just considering the OP's situation and original question. I love goldfish-- too much, if you get my drift.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
ill just stick to my convicts ( i may get one more and if i do its gunna be a pink con ) right now i have 7 in my 75/80

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store