Yeast Home Recipies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Preposterous

AC Members
Sep 14, 2007
I have been using the Nutrafin canister off and on for some time now. I add my own bakers yeast and tiny bit of CaCO3 buffer, however I can't seem to work out the optimum quantities. Anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone add any other salts/nutrients to their mix? I'd really like to rig it up for long term consistent fermentation.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
For the Hagen Nutrafin Canister:

Sugar to the bottom inside line,
Water to the top inside line,
1/8-1/4 teaspoon yeast
1/4-1 teaspoon baking soda

Close as tight as possible and enjoy.

The placement of the hagen should be under good circulation as to spread the dissolved CO2 around, and maybe catch the escaping bubble. Not to worry about catching that bubble, since the bubble gets about 85-95% smaller as it travels the rungs, giving you very good dissolution.

-John N.
APC

all diy co2 is only going to last so long.....

Preposterous

AC Members
Sep 14, 2007
Sodium bicarbonate might indeed be the better choice. I tossed the bubble ladder long ago and have a wooden airstone just beneath the return, which is a 12 in tube with drilled holes extending vertically. However I suspect sucrose might not be the best nutrient for a slower more stable fermentation curve...mmm maybe some barley and hops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store