Yeast in Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blackthorne

AC Members
May 30, 2005
Brookfield, WI
Its been posted before but i need to clarify some questions..

Somehow one of my DIY CO2 bottles must have tipped over getting some yeast into the tank...Right now its cloudy and gets better with water changes but then comes back again.

The remedy for this is what. 50 percent water changes daily...more? less? anybody know..

Also will putting carbon in the filter help get rid of the yeast?

Will anything else help?

In one of the old posts someone said to starve it out of its food source...anybody know what its food source is?

Thanks,

born2lovefish

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Avon, In (suburb of Indianapolis)
get a check valve and put it in the air line so it does not happen again. They cost about $2 and will save you the pain in the butt trying to get rid of the yeast. I never have had the yeast get into the tank. I do know that yeast is, if I am not mistaken, actually an animal or live of something along those lines. I read it off a site that went very indept on DIY CO2. I would say just keep trying to do water changes, and if you get real desperate, get a little bottle of the quick clear or something like that at walmart. Again, if costs like $2 for a little bottle. Hope everything works out for you.

blackthorne

AC Members
May 30, 2005
Brookfield, WI
yes..its a living organism or something...and yes i will have to look into the check valve

for now i guess i will just keep having to do water changes as its all i know to get the levels down

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Yeast is looking for sugar and won't live for long without a decent supply. I'd guess that your overflow has incidentally caused a bacterial bloom that should clear up on its own given a little time. Is it just white haziness in the water?

Check valves let fluids flow in one direction. In this case its from the mix bottle to the tank, which means it won't stop a yeast overflow (it will stop a back siphon and is a good idea).

A bubble counter can help stop a yeast overflow and is just an all around nice thing to have. To build one DIY just take a smallish bottle (16 oz-ish would make a nice size) and drill two holes on the cap. If you make them a tad smaller than your airline you can get a nice seal… keep them as mid cap as possible and try to retain any gasket in the cap: this is yet another potential leak source. The line from the mix bottle goes almost to the bottom, the line to the tank goes no more than half an inch below the cap. Fill half way with water and seal… the empty half serves as a spillover reservoir.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store