Yeast solution in the tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OnyxFishies

Fish Nut
Aug 29, 2004
Gulfport, MS
I'm sure this has happened to many of us, and I even expected it to happen to me.. but not this soon. I broke down and bought the fermentation CO2 system made by Nutrafin. I know I could have done it all myself, but it was only $30, and I wanted the reactor anyway. I had it set up for about 36 hours, and my cat tipped the fermentation canister over. (it sits in behind the tank, and was out of the way enough, or so I thought)

Anyway, I walked into my bedroom and looked into the tank and thought "My, that tank is waaaay cloudy!" as the cat scampers off. It had been tipped over long enough to push about half of the solution into the tank. I immediately changed approx 90% of the water, (only left enough for the fish to swim, about 2 inches) that was yesterday. Today I came home from work, and did another 50% water change. The yeast appears to be growing inside my aquarium, I have whitish slimy stringy stuff attached to the tank walls, some of the plants, ect. I removed as much as I could, and figure I'll have to keep this up for a bit. (remove the slimy stuff, 50% or so water changes...) Also needed to rinse the filter pads out, they had bunches of slime in em.

Is there anything I need to do or look out for besides keeping the gunk from taking over the tank? The fish themselves don't seem to mind, and my two dwarf Gouramis keep occaisionally tasting the slimy bits that break free and float around. (they spit it out though... must taste bad) All of the fish are as active and healthy looking as before, and are eating as well.

My check valve I had installed in the CO2 line is being a pain to clean.. wants to stick now.

I figure there wasn't alot of alchohol in the fermentate, (is that even a word?) it had only been producing bubbles for about a day. Sugar I figure is nothing but food for bacteria/yeast/ect, and by itself won't hurt much. (most of it has been removed, anyway.) The baking soda that remains from the "stabilizer" portion of the pre-packaged mix will do nothing but raise the kH a bit. Will an aquarium support yeast growth?

On a bit of a side note, is there a consensus on the reactor that is included in the CO2 kit? (it is alot like a ladder, the bubbles have to travel under slightly inclined ledges, back and forth intill they reach the top of the reactor). They do get quite small as they travel, going from about the size of a "tic-tac" (Normaly airline bubble size, I suppose) to being very tiny at the top of the reactor. Very little of the bubble comes out of the reactor, so it must be disolvine fairly well.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Ahh yes, the nostalgia. This happened to me with my DIY setup. If I recall correctly, ti was also my cat's fault, in some way or another (well, technically I suppose it would be MY fault).

Just gotta do lots of water changes. The tank will look nasty for a week or so. I also had the stringy stuff you describe.

No ill effects ever came of my disaster...let me see if I can find the thread for you.

http://aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23892&highlight=yeast

That picture was from...at least 4-5 days after the incident...with several 50-75% water changes a day - and it still looked like that! What you can't see in the picture is all of the white icky goopy stuff. It covered everything. I just gravel vac'ed it out as best I could.

Keep an eye on the pH. It probably crashed a bit with the initial dump of mixture...

Last edited:

OnyxFishies

Fish Nut
Aug 29, 2004
Gulfport, MS
Ok, thanks. I remember reading a thread with about the same thing happening. (maybe yours?) a while back.. I looked through the archives for it, and couldn't find it. I can *kinda* see the icky white goop in your picture, it looks a lot like mine does from a few feet back. (the stuff is almost clear, makes it blurry in spots from a distance)

I've been keeping tabs on my pH while I start out on CO2, and it hasn't swung too much. From about 6.6 to 6.3 or so, varies a bit, as my water tends to be soft. I will pay particular attention to it now that I'm doing massive water changes because most of my kH comes from a small bag of crushed coral in the filter box, and my water is very soft.

You know.. I'm thinking I don't like that yeasty "bakery" smell so much anymore...

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Wasn't the generator bottle hung on the tank using the handy hanger? Kitty couldn't have tipped it that way...

Good advice so far on the water changes, that seems to be the only way out, lucky the fish are OK, some don't fare so well.

The bubbles so dissolve quite a lot as they move up the ladder. (pulling out the old geometry book) If you recall that volume of a sphere is (4 pi r^3) /3 then forget about all the constants (the 4/3 and pi) and look at the r cubed part.

So the volume varies as r cubed.

If the radius is reduced from one to 0.25, then the volume is reduced from whatever it was origianlly to 0.25 cubed of the original. Which is 0.0156 or 1.56% of the original, which means that 98.5% is absorbed.

So, if you are seeing the radius reduce to 25% of the original size you have great absorbtion of 98+%, don't worry about that little bit that is left, it is probably not CO2 anyhow but some other gasses from when you sealed the canister.

OnyxFishies

Fish Nut
Aug 29, 2004
Gulfport, MS
anonapersona said:
Wasn't the generator bottle hung on the tank using the handy hanger? Kitty couldn't have tipped it that way....
hehe.. very handy. I need to a little modification of my tank lid to get it to work, as it is now I don't have an open spots for the hanger to go. (nothing a little bit of cutting won't cure.

So, if you are seeing the radius reduce to 25% of the original size you have great absorbtion of 98+%, don't worry about that little bit that is left, it is probably not CO2 anyhow but some other gasses from when you sealed the canister
I hadn't done the math, but I had surmised about the same.. I have good CO2 absorbtion. I have a penguin 170 HOB filter, (with the bio-wheel) and ripples the top of the water quite a bit so how much is staying in the tank remains to be seen. I've been doing several water changes per day so I haven't worried about how much CO2 is diffused in the water yet.

While I like my filter, I think I'm going to cut the little lip that makes the water "kick out" towards the front of the tank. Hopefully, it will make the water flow in a more downward direction with less surface ripple. Heck.. whats the worst thing that could happen? (lol.. with my luck I'll destroy the filter and cut my thumb off at the same time!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store