Yellow leaves + algae indentification question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
My tank is 15 days old, 250 liter, I have 0,53w/l T5 lighting setup. I follow Tropica's advisory with day-by-day program for the first 90 days period. I don't add any fertilizer and light period in my tank is 6-7 hours.

My Ludwigia glandulosa was doing pretty well with the newest shots turning red, but since yesterday the oldest leaves started to massively drop.

They look like this:
IMG_9487.jpg
Can anyone help, what kind of nutrient deficiency is this?

I'm doing well with algae, but I got this thing several days ago on some of Echinodorus leaves.

IMG_9481.jpg

Is this brown algae - diatoms? I read they are typical for newly cycled tanks. I have several Amano shrimps and Nerita snails... I plan to get about 6 Otos.

Thanks!

IMG_9481.jpg IMG_9487.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
With a 15 day old tank, how are you cycling? Do you currently have the shrimp/snails?

First off, it's not a very long time to judge what is wrong with the plants. It could easily be an adjustment period "issue."

Certainly could be diatoms with such a new tank, but I can't tell from the pic. I wouldn't add anything just to get rid of them, but otos will go after it should it still be around when you get to that point. In the mean time you can wipe them off surfaces and they go away eventually in my experience.

I will say that after skimming the Tropica suggestions, I am not a huge fan. They make some good points, but I really don't see why they are suggesting not to add any fertilizer yet. The best way to prevent algae is to get your plants up and running ASAP, and by not dosing anything you are only stunting their growth. Nor do I agree with adding any fish or inverts at such an early stage without cycling first. Please do NOT add any otos this early. They are sensitive fish and require fully established tanks to thrive.

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Thanks for assisting me. I thought about plants adjusting, but it was strange to see all those yellow leaves fallen from the plant so sudden.

Well, I have 3 Nerita snails and 4 Amano shrimps. They are all thriving. I also added several rainbowfish forktails. They are small and also doing well (I had some issues though, they refused to eat for 2 days, but now they are hungry all the time!). I do about 30% water changes every 3-4 days.

I'm with you on the fertilizer thing - I guess Tropica wanted to warn people not to overdo the fertilizer in the first few weeks. Do you have any experience with EasyLife Profito fertilizer? I read somewhere that it's similar to Flourish.
I can assure you that inverts like Amano shrimps and snails are doing absolutely fine in this tank! No problems, whatsoever.

The alge that I got can be easily wiped off the glass, but it does not come that easily from the plants - however I managed to clean some of it with careful wiping.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Do you have a test kit? I'd keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite as they are not something you want your fish or inverts being exposed to at any measurable level. The forktail rainbows aren't exactly the hardiest fish either. Cycling with fish is possible, just not my favorite method. Having a larger tank also makes it easier if you stock slowly.

The only liquid ferts I've tried is the Flourish line.

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
I have tested the water several days ago and it was all good. I don't want to overstock in any way, especially not now when cycling is not complete.
This fert ProFito is like a Flourish so I hope it's okay to add now.

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Just to note that I have more of that "brown algae" stuff all over my tank... plants, leaves, rocks... the gravel is currently the only place that isn't affected by that algae. It's still not alarming, but my tank started to look a bit more "dirty". Should I be concerned and do something about it, besides water changes on 3-4 days?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store