Yellow mass on Glass Catfish above/behind eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Towely

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
I have 6 glass Catfish that I have had for some time. I recently upgraded from a 55 to a 125 gallon tank(over the weekend). I imported about 40 gallons from the old tank into the new and added fresh water to make up the difference. We are running the old filter with an additional new filter. All has been well thus far but I noticed today that one of our glass cats has a yellow mass above/behind his eye. You can see through the fish that the mass seems to be coming from, or growing into the inside of the fish. It is about the size of a poppy seed, maybe slightly larger.

He has always been smaller than the other cats and sometimes wanders away from the pack but he regularly schools with them and has been feeding normally. I feed them flakes 2-3 days in a row, then blood worms the 3rd or 4th day.

I'm not finding anything online and I'm pretty new at the aquarium thing so any advice would be appreciated. I also have some tetras that are sporting a little snow. Picking up a test kit tomorrow to check my water as I'm currently fresh out but can I up the water temp to 86 with the glass cats for a week or is that no bueno for them?

edit: As far as increasing the temp is concerned, we are running two filters(one rated for 70 gallons and the other for 90, I believe) that do a pretty good job at agitating the surface as well as an air pump rated for up to a 75 gallon tank. I would think this is giving us more than adequate oxygen levels?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Is there anyway you can get a picture? It's hard to tell from descriptions with things like these.

As for the ich, make sure you are dosing with salt if you are going to raise the temp. However, these guys can be sensitive and I don't know how they'd react to the salt. I wouldn't want to go that high on temp with them either. Do you have a QT tank?

Towely

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
I tried to get some pictures but all I have is a cell phone camera that is not very good. My QT tank had a Green Terror in it at that time that I thought was acting a little funny and decided to put in observation. Unfortunately the glass cat passed a few days ago. No other fish are showing any signs of the disease or any other issues. Did some pretty aggressive water changes though afterwords just encase.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store