Yellow perch

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009
A nearby reservoir was illegally stocked with yellow perch, and as such it is now filled with them. I asked around, and the park really doesnt care what you do with them, so I'm thinking about catching a few for my 120G tank.
from what I have read they eat just about whatever, flake food shouldn't take long for it to eat then.

Does anyone have experience with yellow perch?

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009
Currently QT-ing a perch, I think its got something though so a week and medication and I'll see how it is.

sorry for the double post also.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I don't have a perch but I do have a green sunfish. I weaned him off of live food by first not feeding him for 2 day's then I started feeding him crickets. he started eating off the surface and then I added floating pellets with the crickets. After only about a week I was only feeding him pellets. It was very easy but it might be a bit more challeging with your perch. Hope this helps!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I kept one in a tank for 2 years and he' been in my mother's pond for the past 4 years. It has never taken flake or pellet, only live foods and very reluctantly it will take frozen whole animal foods like krill and silversides. On the upside they're totally peaceful with any tankmates they can't swallow. Mine lives on small Koi and Goldfish with an occasional treat of nightcrawlers when I go up to visit. He does a great job keeping the pond from getting overcrowded.

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009
Sadly the perch did not make it, I had caught one and it seemed fine until I brought it home. From there on things went downhill. He is now fertilizing my apple tree.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Sadly the perch did not make it, I had caught one and it seemed fine until I brought it home. From there on things went downhill. He is now fertilizing my apple tree.
They're harder to keep than sunfish or something. Need a fully cycled tank for sure, and plenty of oxygenation. And fairly cool water.

I don't have a perch but I do have a green sunfish. I weaned him off of live food by first not feeding him for 2 day's then I started feeding him crickets. he started eating off the surface and then I added floating pellets with the crickets. After only about a week I was only feeding him pellets. It was very easy but it might be a bit more challeging with your perch. Hope this helps!
Green sunfish will accept almost any food just by not feeding them for a few days.

Perch are much harder to get on prepared foods. I know of people that have had them years and they never did accept them.

I have never kept perch myself, mainly because they're not present right in this region. I could travel a bit and get one, but I don't have an interest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store