Yellow Tang turning red

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Wow, you learn something new everyday. Looks like the tang is bloodshot. Maybe some Cleareyes in the water might clear it up.:D

In all seriousness, does this always show red? I had a fish some months back that exhibited some of this when he was placed in the tank. It was a yellowtail damsel, and the blue part of his body got all funny looking and streaky, but it wasn't red. He recovered a week later.

scooterB

AC Members
Apr 27, 2003
Houston
Visit site
It is 55 gallons and maybe my water has a lot of phophates. i'll have to check that. I am at work, i will have to check the levels at home. my PH is 8.2 i know that. my gravity is 1.017 is that way too low, i heard before it should over 1.022 is that true?

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
LOL, oh yeah, that's a problem. Specific gravity should be between 1.021 and 1.025 - your tang is currently in strong brackish water. To raise this, you will need to do water changes by mixing in more saline water - do NOT just add salt to the tank!

What were the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
How long has the tang been living in water with SG that low?

scooterB

AC Members
Apr 27, 2003
Houston
Visit site
jeez!

:( Oh jeez.... I took advice from a guy that suposedly had about 20 SW fishtanks in his house......boy that was a mistake! It has been this way for about 4 months! Ammonia is about 0.1 Nitrite is really low and I really did not understand how to read the nitrate levels. Theres a low range and high range, The color is more green, which i believe is quite low. Arg... strong brackish water.....poor fish, they sure are tough. I just bought a large hermit crab, a peppermint shrimp and camel back shrimp, are they vulnerable to low salt? and i will add more today and not just strait, i know that.
THanks again

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yeah--inverts are very sensitive to low SG. Low SG is used to treat parasites, because many of them have little defense against osmotic pressure. Fish have more control, but not much.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Algae is a separate (and much less urgent) problem - we'll tackle that one once we get your livestock out of danger.

The fact that you have found ANY registerable ammonia and nitrite is a HUGE problem. We need a complete description of your tank - how big is it, how is it filtered, and what do you have in it?

How did you cycle your tank? How long did you wait before adding livestock?

What is the pH reading on your tank?

scooterB

AC Members
Apr 27, 2003
Houston
Visit site
my saltwater level is now 1.023, my fish actually seem a little more active. I am going to have to run the tests again. and i will post the results once i get them.
thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store