Yes, another 10G stock and online ordering

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
My tank is almost done with its fishless cycle, it feels like it has taken forever but finally I am hoping its almost done. So I am turning to stocking options, and I had an idea, but now am not sure......... out of the following which is probably easiest for a beginner and will thrive in very soft water with a low pH (around 6.0).........

1) Glowlight tetras (how many can I get in a 10G??) + ghost OR amano OR cherry shrimp

2) 5 Harlequin Rasbora + 5 Albino Cory

3) 3 Sparkling Gouramis, 4 harlequin rasboras + either shrimp OR albino cory (how many in 10G)??

Also, I am not sure whether to order online or not. The local LFS are OK, but some advice they have given me is not so great (after my first neons died of ammonia poisoning, their advice was to try bigger tetras).......... so if I order online, which sites are recommended? and is it possible to choose between male/female when ordering? (this is really only a concern for me with the gouramis as I don't want them fighting).

Thanks.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I would go with 4 or 5 harlequins and 3 Albino or panda Cory's, it's better to be a little under stocked, than trying to push it to the limit, the stuff in the tank takes up space also, German blue rams are very nice also, they get to about 3 inches, heres a link to purchase on line fish, many people here have used then, good job on waiting your cycle out, your fish will appreciate it........:)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
1. I say 6 -8 glowlights with whichever shrimp you like
2. Would be pushing it a little bit...do-able, but requires more looking after
3. Works if you go with the shrimp.

I would say go with either 1 or 3. I don't have enough experience ordering online to help you with that. I can say however, that as long as the fish are healthy at the local shop, and they have what you want it's a good idea to purchase the fish there (unless you don't want to b/c you have a moral objection from purchasing from them), because the shipping cost of ordering fish online is quite high.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks for the replies, one other thing that may (or may not) make a difference is that I do not have any live plants (and don't plan to get any at least for the near future). I don't know if that will make a difference with these kind of fish, I do have about half a dozen fake plants of varying sizes and a small cave.

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
Plastic plants are fine, you can add a few Pisces of rock or slate to make more houses if you want, start with a few plants and add them as you like, you can change things as you go.........:)

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I'd say plan 1 is good, with 8 glowlights. You could mix up the shirmp if you wanted. Cherries would breed, though, if you added moss balls or java moss. I'd say that harlequins need a school of at least 6 and need more room than a 10g, and albino cories get 2.5-3" each and need schools of 4+.

My suggestion:

6 glowlights
6 dwarf cories

2 10g filters :D

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
I'd say plan 1 is good, with 8 glowlights. You could mix up the shirmp if you wanted. Cherries would breed, though, if you added moss balls or java moss. I'd say that harlequins need a school of at least 6 and need more room than a 10g, and albino cories get 2.5-3" each and need schools of 4+.

My suggestion:

6 glowlights
6 dwarf cories

2 10g filters :D
Schooling numbers very, A school usually means 5 or more,they don't NEED to be in those numbers, we have small schools, 4 of each, of various types in our 29 with 1 albino and a pleco,....:)

vasmir

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Throw up some pics!

I'm always interested to see other 10g tanks.

I just saw one of my cories "jump" a minute ago. It was halarious. I love those little guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store