Yes, Another question by me..... ;)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Alright... Well here is another question by me... Yes, I will admit it im a noob to aquatic plants :p :newbie:

How long would you guys reccomend that I keep my light on?

I only have a few plants in there, so I dont want to have the light on too long... Thease are the plants that i currently have in there atm....
-2 bunches of java fern
-1 anubias coffefoila
-some micro sword
-5 bunches of some type of rotala

I was thinking maybe keeping my light on somewhere around 9~10hours... what do you guys think??

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
8-10 hours. mine are on 10 hours. most people stay within the 8-14 hour range.
lol, 8~14hour range... thats a pretty big range... :y220d:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
8 hrs for high light systems up to 12hrs for low light without too many problems.
14 hrs is hard core...lol.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I have low light set ups, all tanks 13 hours, plants and tank do beautifully.

Debbi:)

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
I have a low light, 1 wpg tank. My lights are on one of those cheap timers. It goes on at 8 am and goes off at 9 PM BUT at noon, it shuts off for a two hour siesta. I read that this helps control algae, but once i started doing it I noticed that my shyer fish seemed to enjoy that time as well. My plants are doing very well. I have many anubias, java fern and even swords. My favorites are the larger leafed anubias 8) HTH, Michelle

geofied

Plant formerly known as Duckweed
Jan 22, 2007
Cleveland area, OH
Average light time in the tropics is 12hrs. Many of the plants we are trying to keep are from tropical and sub-tropical areas. The intensity of the sun is so ridiculously high compared to anything we put over our tanks, even with shade figured in. There are a lot other variables (positional shifting of light, dawn/dusk intensity variance, etc.) but I don't see any reason to go below 12 hours if you want to get the most out of the plants' photo period and compete with algae.

I'm not sure about the 2hr siesta in the middle thing, seems like an unnecessary halt to the plants' photo processes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store