Yes you can.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
You do not need to add CO2 to grow plants.
You merely need about 1 to 1.5 wpg
Often you do not need to fertilize such a tank.
You must however not keep very many fish in such a tank.
Algae is rarely a problem in such a tank but diatoms often are.
Fewer water changes are needed in such a tank.
The substrate is not really all that important in such a tank. Start with plants that do not need a rich substrate, do not vacuum the substrate. Within a year the substrate will be rich in nutrients.
Normally the typical aquarium kit that you buy at any shop is sufficient. At most you might need a better bulb.
Knowing the needs of the plants is essential. Do not buy a plant unless you know what it is and what it requires.

Anubias, Cryptocoryne Java fern,the mosses, some Nymphaea, some sword plants,with a little more effort the less demanding stem plant and most Aponogeton (which are often treated simply as annuals in such situations).

Small amounts of fetilization will help a lot. Dosing with flourish and flourish excel or any other aquarium fertilizer will be beneficial.

All of this can be done at a very minimal cost. You do not need to upgrade anything except your own brain. Start simply and learn to watch what is going on in the tank. Don’t let anyone tell you it can’t.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
I dont use co2 and my lights are not the right kind for plants(i had bought the right ones to go with my plants but for some reason they dont work in my tank) and the plants are doing better then they were at the shop that had all those things. I just planted them and added ferts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store