YES!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chip82

AC Members
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago Il
So after 2 months of trying to cycle my 10G (noob i know) I finale got some sort of results other then 8 ph, 1ammonia, 0nitrate and 0 nitrite.

todays results: 8ph 1 ammonia, 0.25nitrite, and 5.0 nitrate.

now what? I had been testing and doing water changes on a daily basis for about a month and reading and gathering info about cycling. and was getting the same results. so i started doing it every other day and still nothing. after venting to my wife she told me "maybe you should stop F@$&! with it and let it do its thing." I love my wife! so left it alone for about a week and test it today and WOOT! so... should i just let it be for a few more days? :feedback:
10g 3 guppies, driftwood, fake plants, 2 snails, heater, crazy wife(not in tank... yet)

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Yes, I wouldn't add anything -- as your bacteria colonies grow you'll see your ammonia and nitrite levels rise and fall and eventually get to 0. A properly cycle tank shows 0 of both.

You may want to consider doing some water changes, though, since you have fish and snails in the tank.

Good luck!

chee

AC Members
Jan 6, 2010
i can't give you any info that would be anything you probably haven't already read but i can say this, i feel your pain. i was there about a month ago and my tank is going along nicely now. so the payout is worth it (obviously).

when i was cycling my tank i would wait until one of the levels spiked to do a water change, this can be tricky (and probably not recommended :y220d:) though since you have fish in there that wouldn't like that much (i did have some die in the process :(). you should be able to keep an eye on things well enough though. are you using anything like Cycle to start up the bacteria faster? (alright that is all this noob will say, if i am wrong please don't hurt me :hitting:)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
You're getting there! You need the ammonia below .5 and .25 is considered ideal. You want the nitrites to go to 0 and the nitrates to be no higher than 40. Nitrate reading of 20 or less is ideal as well.

Your maximum reading for fish survival:

Ammonia .50.........Ideal= 0-.25
Nitrites 0-5...........Ideal= 0
Nitrates 40 (fish can withstand nitrates of 80 but it is never recommended as some fish are very sensitive)...........Ideal=20

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store