Yet another DIY tank hood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sandman333

AC Members
Sep 26, 2007
Central Florida
Flora:
Windelov Java Fern
Needleleaf Java Fern
Water Sprite
Ludwigia Repens?
Christmas Moss
Hornwort

Fauna:
MTS
Red Ramshorns
3 black molly fry

All in a 10 gallon tank with an 18" 15W fluorescent GE "Plant and aquarium" bulb.

Last week I cut down some of my Ludwigia and replanted the pieces. The lowest stalks have yellow leaves, and the higher ones have greener leaves. Due to this, I have decided to up the lighting. I have decided to make a new hood that can fit two light bars, because there are several 18/20" gallon light bars in my garage.

Ths hood will be a piece of hard clear plastic (acrylic, plexi, ...), and some right-angle aluminum. The plastic will cover the entire top, and then the aluminum will be on the longest two edges to keep the lid from falling off or in. It will be free to slide in one direction, so I can reach in and move a few things.

Ok, on to the questions:
-I have the choice of another 18" fluorescent light bar, or a light bar with two separate light sockets. If I go with the other 18" light, I can easily have 30W, which would be 3W/gallon. If I use the two separate sockets I would probably end up with some ridiculous amount of light. I already have all of the parts, it's just a matter of the 30 minutes to cut and put it together.
-I don't know what kind of bulbs to get. It would be best if the bulb is readily available in stores, I'd rather not have to wait for shipping.

tl:dr - 10G hood, 2 18" fluorescent or 18" fluorescent and other combination. Also, what kind of bulbs?

Lightingsetup.JPG

Last edited:

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
An additional 15w bulb would be great!

As for the bulb, really, anything is fine.

Personally when I use more than one bulb I like go for something thats totally different from my current bulb, as that produces some nice effects.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store