Yet another Java Moss?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TrashmanTodd

AC Members
Jan 27, 2002
Reno, NV

It's been in there for two weeks and looks the same other than turning slowly greenish/grey. There is one green spot but other than that nadda!

Gets plenty on light and ferts, everything else in the tank is going nuts. I do dose with excel to battle the BBA.

I'm lost, I've never had any luck with Java moss except in a frog tank where it grows on a waterfall.

Trashman

fishluver93

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
MN
that is REALLY weird. all i can say is "are you sure thats java moss?" LOL but seriously, doesnt look healthy at all. have you tested your water recently? if not, test it and give results.

TrashmanTodd

AC Members
Jan 27, 2002
Reno, NV
right now with a quick test strip.

NO3: 20 ppm

NO2: 0 ppm

GH: 200 ppm

KH: 120 ppm

PH: 6.9

lighting corallife light 2, 65 watt, 6700k

tank 30 gal with fluval 404 and co2 injection.

I do test pretty much twice a day on PH and KH and my PH is pretty much around 6.8 - 7.0 and the KH is usually around 6 - 7.

The only thing I can figure is the GH. I do have pretty hard water, but I do use Black Water extract.

I get This stuff all the time either online or at the lfs and the same thing happens. This batch in the pic was brown like that when I bought it as the other moss in the tank. Even going back to the store now the stuff from the same batch is green.

fishluver93

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
MN
that is odd. you said your other fish are fine. are they fish tolerant of hard water? or, just list your fish please. ;)

TrashmanTodd

AC Members
Jan 27, 2002
Reno, NV
2 kissing gouramis

5 varius dwarf gouramis

6 noen tetras

1 rainbow tetra

1 clear/ghost tetra(you can see through it

3 cory cats

3 flying foxes

5 oto's

4 ghost shrimp(I've only seen one as of late)

trashman

Last edited:

TrashmanTodd

AC Members
Jan 27, 2002
Reno, NV
a pic of my tank to show how other things are growing.

See the big clump of moss on the drift wood. I just don't get it. :sad:

Trashman

fishluver93

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
MN
man im sorry. i cant think of anything...i wish i could help, but i dont have any advice for you! everything else is thriving...thats just SO weird. :(

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
It could be the flying foxes are picking at any new growth on it, from what I've read elsewhere they do munch on java moss. You might also try spreading it more thinly when you tie it down to the wood, it looks like you've got a big clump, and if the stuff on the bottom didn't get light and rotted, it could certainly rot the whole clump of moss.

TrashmanTodd

AC Members
Jan 27, 2002
Reno, NV
I'll give that a try.

I do have another patch in the bottom corner of my tank. It's basically free floating and looks the same.

I've had the same problem before with no Flying Foxes. In all of the tanks I've ever had no luck growing java moss and if it helps any, dwarf hairgrass never makes it in my tanks. It just rots. Everything else I've tried grows fine.

Trashman

kkifer

the one with the soggy cuffs
Apr 2, 2005
Oregon
What's your water temp? I understand it likes cooler water. There's some good moss info at http://aquamoss.net.

I'm finally getting java moss to grow in a small tank that gets some indirect window light. Don't know if that is important. The temp is 73 degrees in that tank.

Your tank looks great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store