yet ANOTHER lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

julianbc

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
So I have been doing a lot of searches on ac, plantgeek, and on the net for info on lighting. So I just have a couple of questions that I want to ask to clear some stuff up. I appologize in advance that this topic has been beaten to death.

I have a 10 gallon w/ a 15w flourescent bulb. I also have a 5 gallon eclipse with the stock lighting. Both are using 50/50 flourite mixes. So far I have java ferns and hornwort in both tanks, and a sword in both tanks (yes, i know sizing will be an issue eventually). So far the hornwort in the 10 gallon is turning brownish and in the 5 gallon it is doing wonderfully. The sword in the 5 gallon is also looking better than in the 10. I ordered a plant assortment w/ the following

1 Java Fern

2 Cryptocoryne Wendtii (Red)

1 Echinodorus Bleheri Small ( Amazon)

3 Ludwigia repens

1 Anubias Barteri

4 Echinodorus Tenellus

1/8 lb Java Moss

1 Portion Lilaeopsis

2 water sprite

Dwarf Sag

I was just wondering if my light in my eclipse is going to be sufficient?
For my 10g is there a 15w that is more geared towards plants that would be better than my stock 15w? If not, what are the most cost effective ways to get the necessary lighting to sustain my plants? I am trying to avoid anything high cost because I'm a poor college student.

Last edited:

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I would go with what you have, based on your economic situation.
Most of the plants that you have will do OK in that lighting, and whatever doesn't I would just chuck them and continue on with what works.
That is a huge variety of vegetation for a 10 gal. so a little less variety would look better in the long run anyway, IMO.
If you decide to go with higher wattage, let us know. There are a lot of ways to increase your lighting in a little 10 without breaking the bank, but as I said this is do-able with what you've got.
And a side benefit of the lower light is that you don't need a lot of nutrient dosing or CO2 to make it work.

Len

julianbc

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
I plan on spreading out the plants through my 5 gal and my 10 gal. What are the cost effective ways to up the wattage in my 10 gal? Will a 15w meant for plants help at all? Because even more hornwort looks like its browning a bit in the 10 gal.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Check out the bulb here:

http://www.lightbulbdepot.com/product.asp?sub=15&dep=Triple Twin Medium Screw&prod=24064A

This bulb would put 2.8 wpg of compact fluorescent light (stronger and more effective than normal fluorescent) over your tank, and with it you probably could still get away without injecting CO2 to keep the algae at bay.
You will note that it is a screw in bulb so all you need is a socket and wire, available at Home Depot. You can make a little box out of wood also available at HD, paint the inside flat white, install the bulb and for less than $35 you've got a nice lighting system for your 10.
You can buy these type bulbs at HD as well, but I personally have never seen them in the 6000 - 7000 Kelvin range, and when you light them up they cast a yellow shade over the tank. The tube in the picture is has a K rating of 6400 which leans more towards a white/blue appearance. More pleasant and natural looking, IMO.
I like this option for a tiny tank, and use it over my 10 and my 5 gallons with good success.

Len

julianbc

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
Wow, great! That sounds like a good option for both of my tanks. I could probably find a way to retro fit them in the 10 and the 5. So even though the hood on my 10 is a little long, 1 of these bulbs should evenly light it? I just dont want and odd shadows casted on my tank. When you made it, did you make the enclosure for the bulb the length of the tank or just a small box that you placed in the middle of the hood or something? Sorry for all the questions, but the help is much appreciated!

Oh ya, and do you think it would be a good idea to maybe throw some plexi glass or something around it on my eclipse sinec there isnt ant clear plastic between the bulb and the wter on the eclipse? Don't wanna zap my fish or ruin the bulb w/ condensation.

julianbc

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
I traded my flourescent hood for the incandescent hood on my mom's goldfish tank. Will just using this hood work alright for those bulbs?

julianbc

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
Sorry, ANOTHER dumb question. Since the incandescent hood has 2 sockets, if i used two of those bulbs would it be 5.6wpg or should i just use one?

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Those old incandescent hoods are great for this application, but 5.6 is a lot of light for your ten. I would search around for two bulbs @ around 12 - 14 watts each if you intend to put two over the ten. If you go with too much light you will need to have a large plant mass and inject CO2, and feed the plants to avoid algae issues. What ever wattage you choose, remember to check the K rating and try to stay in the 6500K range or a bit higher.
Unless you are experienced with balancing a tank, I'd stay in the 3 wpg range for a ten. You could go with 4 wpg or so in the 5 gallon and still be OK with regard to algae, so take that into consideration when building or fitting your hoods.
I built a box that spans the width of the 10 (19") and put two 23 watt bulbs in it, but I have experience with lighting and I inject CO2. One bulb in a ten will give you fairly good coverage, but two would be better.
There is no doubt that a piece of plexi-glass or glass (a better option - plexi-glass can yellow) would be the way to go between the lighting and the water. Keeps the moisture out of the electronics and cuts the heat generated by the bulbs down in the tank.

Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store