Yet More Newbie Stocking Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MarkInNC

AC Members
Jun 16, 2009
Hampstead NC
Several posts to my first stocking questions and I am narrowing and optimising my thoughts. As a newbie I am interested in basics first then may move into both fish and plants that take additional knowledge and care.
A couple of people have suggested that at least the male swords are semi-aggressive and I have concluded Ill wait on them. I am assuming that a fish such as the Electric Yellow or a Goromi which grow to 3-4" will eat a smaller fish such a a 1.5" platie, (is this correct?). My water will likely be normally a bit high on pH and some minerals as I use well water. I have read about just changing to fish species that tolerate a higher pH. Well I have read a couple of charts and fish bios which do not talk about pH. I am looking at mollies, platies, guppies, tetras, and catfish as potential fish. Where would I find pH and tolerance info. I have also wondered about temperature. I am keeping the house in the mid seventies during the summer and the tank seems to be right in the middle of the green zone. This winter Ill allow the house temp to drop into the 65 range so Ill be dependant on the tank heater, any issues here?

thanks,

Mark

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Not all gouramis that big would eat the platies. Pearl gouramis will work just fine. They are peaceful in general and work in several community tanks. pH is not an issue. A lot of fish we get, have been bred for several decades and by this time, they readily adapt to various water conditions so this is not really something you have to be concerned about. As far as temperature is concerned, usually with tropical setups, the norm for temperature ranges from 76 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. It depends on the fish you get. Most prefer their temperature consistently above 84 degrees such as discus while others such as hillstream loaches like their temperature no more than 76 degrees.

Last edited:

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
nice job lups :)

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
If thats an Electric Yellow, African Cichlid your refering to?
I'd think it would kill everything else in their, just to be killing it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store