Yikes..I think I may have figured out part of my problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
after studying and researching(lurking here helped).

I thought I was having low light problems..but actually I think the problem is just the opposite.

I have a 75 gal with wet/dry sump..it has 2 48" light fixtures...turns out they had a icecape 660 ballast..the lights are 2 48" fr48t12/vho..110 watt bulbs!!

I thought I had just over 1 wpg but actually it's closer to 3 wpg..

plants are getting stringy..but new growth on all. I think the plants and substrate still need to get set..this tank has been set up for over 3 months now..I just added some laterite to the substrate with the rooted plants (swords and crypts) ..

I need to read up more on CO2(they prob need that) and dosing nutrients..other plants are anubias, anacharis(elodea densa) another elodea(unknown) .. vals are suffering..

what tests should I be doing? when it comes to planted aquaria I need a push in the right direction.. :help:

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
when you say "stringy" is it like long strands of stuff hanging off of your plants in various locations. Particularly anacharis and other stem plant? I noticed that type of thing when I first got plants a few months ago. Kinda like its droping roots from high up on the plant, but growing rapidly around the area its dropping the stringing root type things from?

mtiller

wolf-pac
Jun 29, 2005
Georgia, United States
i noticed that on my anacharis today while setting up my Dwarf puffer tank. i think it's just the start of a new strand of anacharis growing, mine have started to branch off and get a bit longer. i'm sure they could use the extra nutrients though so i'll prob. pick some stuff up.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the anacharis came from a good source and is thick..probably from the ideal growing environment.

it appears to have bracnhed and the branchs are grwoing long and strigy (when compared to the plant)
the sworda are pale but have new growth..so it's lacking something..the moneywort just kind of sits there....the crypts are putting on new leaves and getting slightly bigger.

I'm prob going to add some CO2 ..I am using flourish at the moment..

since adding elodea the green algae has slowed and isn't a real big prob..the bn gets plenty to eat.

Zen4t5

AC Members
Jun 2, 2006
Northern NJ
You should definitely add CO2 and fertilizer. At 3 WPG your plants really want to grow, but lack the basics to really take off. Its missing basic building blocks(CO2) and food(ferts) to grow. Its like drinking a lot of milk, but no protein and fiber. You can't live off of just milk.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
but milk has protein :D

but what you said makes sense..I am adding CO2 in the next couple days..

I'm checking on macro nutrients and micro nutrients..'''but adding CO2 looks like it's the big thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store