Yikes! Spontaneous Generation?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
No, I don't believe in spontaneous generation.....but, I need your help.

Just set up a 30 Breeder hard water tank two weeks ago...have a good setup for such a small tank but all was new and I figured I didn't need to quarantine as we are starting from scratch....

Well, some of the plants must have had fish eggs on them, because a hatching has occurred. Fry are clear with small dark spots on then ventral rear, but I'm not able to determine species at this time. Fry are approximately 1/16th of an inch so they have been there a while. I can see at least 10.

Does anyone have suggestions on management of fry that you don't know what the species is yet? This has never happened to me.

But a blessing for sure, it will be interesting to see what I have and if I can keep them successfully.

RW

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
Just an update....After talking to the store where I bought the plants, it looks highly likely based on the tank these plants came from that these are some type of rainbow. I have them on First Bites and will keep checking progress.

Love it, free fish!

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
I have been having problems getting my camera to focus on the fry and not the aquarium glass... have several pics throughout the process. At this point, yes, they are Rainbows, but do not have a breakdown of gender or know specific species yet. I have been feeding them with "First Bites" from Kyorin...it was recommended to me and I have to say it's a great food as long as you are careful to seal the pouch after use as it is very fine and could be easily spilled. The fry (four of them) are approximately 1/4 to 1/3". Feeding them four to five times a day and they are growing noticeably day by day.

rainbow fry1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store