Yippee, My Plants Are Maturing!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

G_Knicks

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Long Island, NY
I looked yesterday at my several water sprite plants in the tank and saw their colors becoming more greener since when I bought them they were brown in a lot of spots. And they even have some little sproutlets growing at the bottom that I know that are new. I have low lighting(1.5W) but I keep the lights on for about 15 hours(7am. - 10pm.). IS that too much? I mean, can a plant photosynthsize TOO much?

Also I read that you could vegetatively propagate them by cutting a stem and replanting it elsewhere in the gravel. Well I did that and I haven't seen any significant change in them but I'll be patient. So I'm just happy I got maturing plants!

Miyavism

FEED ME A STRAY CAT.
Feb 13, 2007
Congratz. And, while we tend to advocate 12 hours to be the max. photo period, going a little over that won't cause much trouble (assuming that you have a good balance of ferts and such).

Glad to know you're plants are doing well. :D

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
you may get an excess of algae growth, but nothing too serious.

G_Knicks

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Long Island, NY
Yeah unfortunately I noticed that on some of my fake plants pre-dense algae was beginning to grow. I'm gonna reduce some of the hours and lighten up on feeding and do some water changes to remove what the algae thrives on.

abh19

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
I know with terrestrial plants, some will grow under 24 hour light. Some need varying amounts of darkness every day. I can only assume aquatic plants have the same variability.

G_Knicks

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Long Island, NY
Well I've adjusted my time to a 12hr period and my plants are still growing with the changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store