young amazon val leaves are brown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
On the heels of my ich outbreak, which is at the tail end of high temp(87 F), and salt therapies(not adding salt now with water changes), I have notices the younger leaves of on amazon vals turning red-brown but otherwise appearing healthy and I think growing. Color changes were noted prior to high temp/.salt treatment and excel but discoloration is progressing. Vals have been in the tank for ~ one month. I have started adding excel only recently at a low dose for now(3ml/d.). Is it possible that the root tabs are to close to the roots. Tank spec: 55 g w/o co2 Lighting with cf at 6500k for 6 hours at 1.75 w/g and 3,5w/g for 2 hours for a total 8 hour light cycle. All in all the plants look good and no algae issues at all. thanksbrown val2.jpgbrown val.jpg

brown val2.jpg brown val.jpg

Last edited:

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
Plant I.D. Sold as jungle val but I think it is not???

I believe I figured it out...The young leaves are a beautiful red-brown and are healthy. I believe their true colors are enhanced by a more favorable enviroment in comparison to the LFS"s aqua-enviroment(no ferts, low light...moved about alot in the tank). Any guesses? Hint: The leaves also have a visible marble -vein like look to them. All the new leaves posses this reddish color. Sorry for the poor picture quality..used my cell phone .

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
My tiger vals developed lots of coloration under moderate-high lighting... could be what's going on.

Master3z

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
Hey my Vals are in the same state after i upgraded lightning. ...at first i thought that the young leaves are dying. But they didnt,,,they are growing a lot more faster than the other leaves....

I can also see some veins like in on the leaves...i can also see pearling sometimes on my vals

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
I was wondering if I had red marble vals instead of the jungle/amazon val. In any event I like the color and it is shooting out runners.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
new growth looks good. i wondedr how the vals will react with low doses of excel?
I use excel and have Vals. There are reports of it working as long as you slowly transition the tank into the use of excel.

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
" new growth looks good. I wonder how the vals will react with low doses of excel" What has been your experience with glutaraldehyde/excel? You here so many different experiences with certain plants and excel both good and bad. Is it a acclimation issues or just a chance thing when using excel with certain simple plant species like vals?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store