Young fish and 8 day vacation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dewilde2

Illinifish
Aug 8, 2006
St Louis
I have a single balloon belly molly fry in a 2.5 gallon tank, she's about 3 months old. I am going to be out of town for 8 days, and I know that young fish need to be fed more frequently than others, but I'm hesitant to put a vacation feeder in there due to the small size of the tank. I could potentially take it with me I guess, although I didn't know if that would be a huge stress on the tank/fish or not. I'd appreciate any suggestions- thanks!

psilo

AC Members
At 3 monhts old she should be quite well matured enough to withstand a feeder block for just 8 days but that seems like overkill.looking at your other tank set up Id be tempted to put her in with the bigger fish where there will be more food readily available from food and plants.

dewilde2

Illinifish
Aug 8, 2006
St Louis
wish i could...

yea that's a problem, because she's a female, and all the others are male. She will get killed FOR SURE if I put her in there. I accidentally bought a balloon belly female a couple months back and they nearly killed her within 5 minutes and I had to take her back. Also, the tank in my signature is at my "other home" so to speak, and I have the baby in another location. So putting her in the big tank isn't really an option.....
Any other ideas?

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I mean, if you really have no other option than to use the vacation feeder, then use the vacation feeder. That's better than not feeding her at all.

The best case scenario is you get a neighbor to come over once a day to feed her.

dewilde2

Illinifish
Aug 8, 2006
St Louis
4 days ok?

Ok, lucky for me my friend just got shafted on her work schedule. She'll now be able to feed the fish on Wed. Do you think it will be ok before and after that (4 days and then 3 days)? Or should I try the small vacation feeders?

I'm hoping to get a 5 or 10 gallon tank soon for her and to add some buddies, and then maybe be able to get an automatic feeder for such breaks :)

Thanks again

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Definitely don't use a vacation feeder in that small tank - you're bound to foul up the tank very quickly. I think your friend coming over one day in the middle of your vacation to feed should be fine. Don't let her overfeed or feed extra that day either - just a normal feeding. A 3 month old baby should do fine. I've left younger platy fry than that for 7 days with no food.

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
Auto feeders.

I've got 2 Eheims and 2 Nutra-Matics for my tanks. Powderize some flake food, adjust the amount of food dispensed per auto feed cycle, enjoy your vacation.

I've gone on 2-week outings with no problem whatsoever.

If you're leaving town right away, having the neighbor do the feeding chore is a better idea. Although simple to operate, I usually "test drive" them on their assigned tank for a day or two before leaving.

v/r, OF

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store