Your Aquarium Product Recommendations (Air Pumps, Betta Caves, Fake Plants)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GenteelBen

AC Members
Mar 14, 2020
I need a few things to round out my first tank. So, the purpose of this thread is to get your recommendations for any of the following:
  • Air Pump for 7-Gal Nano Tank: I have a Tetra Whisper Easy 10-Gal pump and unfortunately it's much too strong. I need a much, much, much weaker pump.
  • Betta caves: I'd like to get a small fish cave. Do you have any favorite shops or stores for these? Any particular recommendations? I've seen some Etsy stores with interesting fish caves, but I'd love a recommendation.
  • Fake plants: My tank is planted, but I'm finding that plants are a bit expensive and not quite as easy to keep healthy as advertised. I thought could add one or two high quality fake plants to make the aquarium look a bit better overall. Any good producers of fake plants for aquariums?
Thanks for reading and for suggestions you care to provide!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
  • Fake plants: My tank is planted, but I'm finding that plants are a bit expensive and not quite as easy to keep healthy as advertised. I thought could add one or two high quality fake plants to make the aquarium look a bit better overall. Any good producers of fake plants for aquariums?
That's because LFS's typically sell difficult plants or even submerged houseplants to keep the gullible coming back to buy them. Look on Craigslist, join an aquarium/plant club, ask on this forum there are tons of people that have to throw away garbage bags of easy to grow aquatic plants.

Reactions: GenteelBen

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Consider buying an air gang valve to control your existing air pump as you can bleed off some of the air with one of the valves so that way you won't need to buy another air pump.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would strongly suggest you get a java fern (Philippine, if you can find it, is smaller) & an anubias nana. They are both tied to rock or wood & need little light. Your betta will love lounging on the leaves & nibbling on "micro-goodies" too. Artificial plants are way lesser & can grow algae & trap crud at least as much as live plants. Plants can also help with water quality & are pretty!

I like Dee's idea of a gang valve to reduce the flow. Many bettas are fine with a bit more current but they need a calm area & some time to build up some muscles if they were living in a cup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store