Your thoughts on using carbon..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
I don't bother with carbon for everyday purposes either. I just replace the carbon with filter floss to add to the surface area for bacteria growth in the filter. I save carbon for taking out meds, accidental contaminants in the tank, and some use it to remove tannins in the water caused by driftwood. For the most part it is not a dire necessity and is not needed for a healthy tank.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
Only use it as Sammie does, and mainly to remove tannins from new wood. Many say it can pull the micro-nutrients from the water column and then leech all the bad stuff back into the water at the end of its life span. Its completely unneeded in an established healthy tank. Many use it for the first few months of a tanks life to ensure the health of inhabitants and pull any chemicals associated with new tank decor and substrate, but I don't.

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
I also replaced my carbon with filter floss after reading that it can remove plant ferts in the same way it removes meds. Odors or discoloration can be removed with water changes.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Yea, just want to note that the "leaching bad stuff back" is a myth. It can only be released after being heated to ridiculously hot temps. Though the people who sell this as a product would like you to think otherwise, so you will keep buying the product and out money in their pockets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store