yoyo loach behaviour

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chilligirl

AC Members
Nov 9, 2007
I've got to say, I'm converted on the loach front now. I never really wanted any, I've always found them kind of icky and creepy, especially the more "wormy" looking ones, like weather loaches (no offense meant). But, I wanted a bottom feeder that would dig and burrow in the substrate, so bought 3 yoyos shortly after getting the tank up and running.

I'm glad I did - I just love those little guys! They're a ton of fun to watch, and quite pretty fish.

Anyway, my question is more about the behaviour of all my other fish around the loaches, than the loaches' behaviour, but thought I'd pose it here anyhow:

All the other fish are extremely tolerant of the yoyos - to the point it's like they don't exist. They allow the yoyos to swim all over them, rub against them, etc., pull food from their mouths, anything, and never even seem to notice them. Is that typical? What gives? The angels, nannacara, and platys all will posture and squabble with one another, and defend space from eachother, but they all give the loaches free reign.

It's especially neat to see, when my nannacara are displaying to one another (they're a pair), and they've got a loach weaving all around them, and they don't pay it any mind...

chilligirl

AC Members
Nov 9, 2007
sorry, I should clarify, the loaches went into the tank just a few days after the initial stock of Angels and glowlights, and before the platys or nannacara, so it's not a "new fish" thing.

All my reading said that groups of 3 or more are fine, I really don't want to add more. The tank is only 90g, and the loaches will get to be about 6" long from what I've read - I want them to always have ample space in the tank :)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
All my loaches give my severums a brush.lol Sevs just don't mind. Had angels before and the angels didn't mind either but they do nip slightly out of curiosity more than aggression.

lili70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
All the other fish are extremely tolerant of the yoyos - to the point it's like they don't exist. They allow the yoyos to swim all over them, rub against them, etc., pull food from their mouths, anything, and never even seem to notice them. Is that typical? ...
It's typical for my tanks.
The yo-yos were the only fishes tolerated even by my betta female (super agressive). You described them perfect. I mixed them with betta, tetra, gourami, glass fish, GBR (of course not in the same tank).
My explanation: they are very fast and interested only in their digging so ....
L

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store