Yoyo loach?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
so doing a google search for the best snail eating loach (other than a clown) brought me to another thread on here that mentioned yoyo loaches but spoke of them requiring a large tank. Instead of bringing the dead to life and creating a zombie thread and confusion from people responding to the OP instead of me i chose to start my own. I already know that the bare minimum number of loaches that can be kept is 3 and recommended minimum is 5. I know the full length is a possible 6 inches. I know that they love to swim and play and will jump up the outflow from a filter in to the filter and occasionally out of the tank from there (i learned this the hard way, but there were many mistakes involved in that situation). i now know that they eat snails as readily as a clown loach will. If i missed basic info on them that i cant think of at the moment please feel free to inform me of it :D. Now to the next set of info I think you will need. With in the next 3 weeks I will be purchasing a 55 gallon tank for my striped Raphael cat. He's about 3 inches now give or take an 8th of an inch either way and has out grown the 10 gal he has lived in since i purchased him (dont freak please when i purchased him he was only 3/4 as long as an oto and i have proof im not lying http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221586 ). When i got him I already owned a 100 gal tank I plan on him living in for the rest of forever and still own it but have been having some problems with getting it set up due to location, transportation, and structural issues with the tank. So until I get the kinks worked out with the 100 i am purchasing a 55 minimum to house him just in case something horrible goes wrong with the 100 gal my Raphael will be set for life but i wouldn't be able to house the entire stock list i have planned for that tank sadly... so i hope i get it all worked out because its my dream tank! Now that all the background info i think you need is listed (if not just ask) on to my actual questions. Once i acquire the 55 and have it running and cycled could i purchase a group of Yoyo's ( I feel you will all say 5 min, but i think i only want 3 but will follow the judgment and knowledge of the forum and more experienced and knowledgeable members than myself that reply to this) as small juveniles (1-1.5 inches max) and use them to clean up the total overpopulation of pest snails in two of my tanks that contain snails (two 10 gallon tanks, one of which the Raphael is in now (would be removed before introduction of the yoyos).... in which the snail problem isn't nearly as bad as it could be... maybe rapheal eats em hmm....,anyways i know this because the other 10 is LOADED with snails! like hundreds in a 10gal. Both tanks are planted heavily which is where the snails come from). this set up wouldn't be permanent or even long term they would be moved to the 55 either when they become to large or the population is under control or eradicated which ever comes first. another plan is to do this is two week stages as in buy one place him in a tank for two weeks them move him to the 55 and buy another place him in the tank then move in two weeks so on and so forth till the snails are taken care of or i reach the number of yoyos i want. Could i do either one of these ideas or are both horrible plans? what would you recommend? i have tried reducing food and trapping with zucchini but it doesnt seem to help in the long run and i absolutely love bottom dwellers and loaches especially khulis!! they are my favorite of what I own thus far till I eventually get my ropefish and poly sens (i cant wait! 2 of both of those are slated to live in the 100 gal) but back on topic lol i would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or concerns involved with what i have stated. thank you in advance!! :D

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
anybody?

zigis

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
I have 3- 4" yoyos and they are crazy. These things are all over the place turning up gravel allways looking for their next meal. And yes they do an execellent job on snails of any size. I think they eat more snails than my clown loachs.

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
im not worried about the plants much they'll heal or can be replaced. Im looking to replace a couple of my swords anyways, and ive heard assassin snails have a habit of assassinating shrimp and one of my tanks that I wish to remove the snails from has a breeding population of ghost shrimp. plus i love loaches especially kuhlis and would like to have a group of yoyos in the 55 anyway but i was just wondering if before they entered the 55 i could use em to clean the small tanks for a short time. oh and i have a 5 gallon tank that is used for nothing but snail breeding (aunt likes to keep them in her gold fish pond but they keep disappearing so i replace em) so once they get a taste for snails i can keep a steady supply coming.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Actually I had this issue once. I have a good relationship with my LFS (not a box store) and I went and picked up a clown (I have 4 Kuhlis and 1 dojo) to eat my snails. took it back about 2 months later (bigger and fatter) and she THANKED me.

leeann82

AC Members
May 27, 2010
I have a yo-yo. I was having an infestation of what i think were pond snails in my 26G. there were literally hundreds of them. So off i went to the LFS to find a solution. The guy (who I generally trust)suggested I get a yo-yo. I made the noobie mistake of buying without researching lol. anyways, i bring him home, and within a week, all the snails were gone!! he got along fine with the other tank mates, consisting of guppies, a couple gourami's and 4 kuhli's. I then bought a used 46G that was infested with trumpet snails (awesome deal) after it was had been going for a couple months, I added a few guppies and the yo-yo. He didn't touch the trumpets, but was being very aggresive to my guppies, constantly trying to attack them. Which i found odd, considering he had been with these exact same gups in the other tank. Upon more thought, i figure it must have been the kuhli's that had kept him busy and from being aggresive. I have since put him back with the kuhli's and he is happy again, hanging out with them. I figure I will just take him back to the LFS when he gets too big..

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Social fish kept singlely or in few numbers can become aggressive. There are some smaller botias than yoyos, histrionicas are very day active & look similar to yoyos when young. Mine however are plant eaters if they don't get romaine often. Striatas are a bit shyer & smaller, pretty pinstripes, red lips, slow growers, don't eat plants. Sithimunkis get to 2.5 inches, not sure the raph won't think they're food but vey nice loaches. Kubotai ~5 inches, I haven't kept them.

With smaller loaches you could get a few more, they really, really are better with 5+, loads of fun.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Interesting- I wouldn't have thought Yoyo's and Kuhlis would have recognized each other as being "similar"- one being Pangio genus and the other Botia... they look very different.

I've actually wondered in the past if Botia might attack Pangio since they look kinda worm like... nice to know if I ever get the opportunity to have a tank large enough for a school of Botia loaches they'll be good with Kuhlis.

Does nothing eat MTS? (besides assassins) Seems like a niche in nature that needs to be filled... now... quickly... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store