YoYo Loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NowherMan6

AC Members
Jun 28, 2004
Visit site
yo-yos are awesome fish. ive heard they grow into more of the 4-5 range, but i guess the difference isnt that big. keep em in a little school, 3 or 4, they'll be a lot happier for it. and be careful if you've got some easily spooked fish, they're pretty rowdy.

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
I was worried more about them because they will be going in with some CA/SA cichlids once I move out the clown loach herd to a bigger tank. I don't want them to become food for anything.5" would be better

Do you think that they will get a long with the clown loaches or will I need 3(min.) yoyo's to make them happy?

NowherMan6

AC Members
Jun 28, 2004
Visit site
which tank are you going to put them in? is that the 55 gallon with the dempsy, green terror and what appears to be an oscar or two? i dont think i'd put any little fish in there...

other than that... well, "happiness" is a funny term when referring to fish - i mean, you're not gonna have to dose your tank with paxil if there's only one. they're schooling fish by nature, they like to be with their own, so if you keep a few, there's more of a chance you'll see more natural behavior and thus have overall healthier fish. ive read of them being kept alone as well, so it wouldnt be as mean to house just one as it would be to house just one neon tetra. the way i see it, youve got a small school of clown loaches, why not get a small school of yo-yo's as well. i have 4 in a 46 gallon tank, which i feel will be sufficient for them. you're tank specs say you're going to get a MUCH larger tank at some point, and i assume you'll move the clown loaches into the larger one, so why not give that left over 55 to the yo-yos who will be fine in tank that size? in the mean time, you can keep the two schools together while they're all still very small, as long as you really go ahead and get a larger tank...

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
the 55 HAD an oscar and a pacu but they have been brought to the LFS for some credit to make room for my HRP's, the picture is an older one. YES I'm gona get a larger tank. I'm building a 225 acrylic with two over flows and a large wet/dry filter. I'm just trying to finish the basement and the stand. It will be just a bit hard moving a 225 full of water. :D The clown loaches wil go to the 225 with most if not all my cichlids........the HRP's and maybe something else smaller will stay in one or the other 55's so I would like to get a few(at least 3) yoyo's if I can find them for the 55's

NowherMan6

AC Members
Jun 28, 2004
Visit site
that sounds perfect ;)

i'd get at least 3, they're fun fish to have and the 55 is plenty of room for them.

if you can't find them at a LFS, try liveaquaria.com. that's where i got mine. expensive, but what else can you do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store