Zebra Danio's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swiftbold

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
I have had 3 of my Zebra's die within the last week. They just seem to get sickly all of the sudden. I also have 4 cory's and a pleco in a 29 gallon tank. Zero ammonia and zero nitrite. I do weekly water changes of about 15% of the water. Any ideas on what could cause this and why it is only affecting my zebras? Thanks

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
How long have you had them? Did they show any signs of sickness before they died? Where they acting normally before you discovered them dead?

swiftbold

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
I noticed acting sickly about 4-5 hours before they died. They all died a couple of days apart. They had been perfectly normal up till then. I have had them for about 5 months. I basically watched as they died I did not just discover them dead. This is my first aquarium so I hope i am not doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Danios are said to be one of the hardiest fish in the hobby, so I don't know why they died on you like that. How exactly did they act before they died? If you didn't have any ammonia or nitrite and your other fish are doing fine, I don't know what the problem could be.

swiftbold

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
They slowed down and then laid on the bottom of the tank till they stopped breathing. I guess I will watch and see what happens next.

Swayde

AC Members
Mar 12, 2007
Florida
Maybe it's just old age. You say you've had them for 5 months...did you cycle with them? I have read that the exposure to the ammonia and nitrites during the cycling phase can shorten their lifespan, which isn't a very big lifespan to begin with.

swiftbold

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
I did not cycle with them. I have one left I am going to give him sometime to see how he does before I put more in.

ralpf

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
I was just reading that the Zebra's are susceptible to velvet disease, did you notice any of these symptoms:
Fish rub against hard objects. A yellowish-gray film consisting of tiny spots appears on the fish's body. The fish may also show signs of increased respiration and loss of appetite.

swiftbold

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
Increased respiration and loss of appitite, but I didn't see any film or spots. I will check our Velvet disease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store