Zebra danios

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
What size tank? Can't really answer without that info.......

shaunakadub

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
I'm going to go against joephys and say go with some zebra danios. Yes they are active, but then again... they are very small, not needing a big swimming space. I have 4 Zebras in my 10gallon and they are absolutly fine.

With my Zebras, I have some albino and green corys, they make good tankmates.

thesydmonster

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
I am with joephys... I think 10 gallon is too small for the danios, they can be very active and prefer more swimming space. I had 3 in my 10 gallon and moved them to a 37 gallon and boy, what a difference! They loved the space.

Some of the smaller rasboras would do well for you, you might look into those.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
not to steal your thread, but would danios be happy in a 20g long? (it's 30" long) i was planning on danios when i first set up my 10g, but went with glowlights instead. but every time i see pearl danios or leopard danios, i just think how pretty they are, especially the long finned ones.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Chris is my original zebra danio from the day of starting the cycle in my ten gallon tank. That was in May of 2003. He was part of a pair, but his friend left us in summer of 2005.
Last fall I changed the ten over to a twenty long. Chris is still perfectly happy, and has had a new friend since last summer.

Conclusions:

1) Zebra danios are indeed a schooling fish, but I have noticed they live perfectly well both alone or in a pair. So all of those who make these rigid claims that it's wrong to keep them out of a school are just being purists and not going on anything but some sort of conventional ideal.

2) They seem no less happy in ten gallons then they do in twenty. That probably goes for any other size tank. Yes they are active, but they really don't require a lot of space to be active. They are very tiny fish.

3) They truly are hardy as hell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store