zebra loach snail eradication

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish23

be excellent to each other
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
I have a planted 29g with a few rainbows and a pair of dwarf gouramis
also a 2" mystery snail. The problem is that along with some of the plants I got smaller varietys of snails that are becoming a bother. I was thinking of getting a zebra loach to eat the small snails (less than 1/4") that are taking over, the questions is will he eat the large and very cool mystery snail or will it stick to the smaller meals in the tank?

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Sorry Cory, but I have to disagree. I have a 55G that has 2 zebra loaches and I tried to put a larger snail in there and they were ruthless about picking at it. I had to remove it. They will pick it to death and then eat it. I would seriously advise against putting a loach in there. I would put a peice of lettuce or some other veggie in the tank then turn out the lights. Wait a couple hours, then remove the veggie as there should be some snails on it. Repeat this process and you should dwindle the number down before too long. Also make sure you are not over feeding. Snails will thrive on extra food, but make sure that your mystery aka brig apple snail gets to eat, because they can starve to death.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I have brigs as well as cana's. Brigs can grow pretty quickly but they don't eat your plants, unless they are dead, so if it is eating live plants, then you probably do have a cana. Brigs will get golfball sized and can grow rather quickly if taken care of properly, but if it gets much bigger, then yes, I'm sure you have a cana. As long as your tank isn't planted, you will very much enjoy it. I LOVE my big cana, she is just beautiful and sooo funny.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
jodimartin2003 said:
Sorry Cory, but I have to disagree. I have a 55G that has 2 zebra loaches and I tried to put a larger snail in there and they were ruthless about picking at it. I had to remove it. They will pick it to death and then eat it. I would seriously advise against putting a loach in there. I would put a peice of lettuce or some other veggie in the tank then turn out the lights. Wait a couple hours, then remove the veggie as there should be some snails on it. Repeat this process and you should dwindle the number down before too long. Also make sure you are not over feeding. Snails will thrive on extra food, but make sure that your mystery aka brig apple snail gets to eat, because they can starve to death.
Hi,

Thanks for correcting me :).

Cory Lover

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Cory Lover said:
Hi,

Thanks for correcting me :).

Cory Lover
No problem. I thought that the zebras would leave bigger snails alone as well. That's why I put one in the tank to test them, but unfortunately they we not very nice ;) oh well, lesson learned.

Fish, that does sound like ramshorns, but I would need a pic to be sure. If they are, then drop a peice of carrot in there. I boil mine until fairly soft. They will flock to this like crazy. Then they will be easy to pull out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store