zebra red Danio or what kind of Danio is this

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phreeflow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
I just got one of these today, 2 actually, a red zebra, and a red leopard. (Did you think I could resist any color danio I don't have? :lol:)

I'm curious though, if they're the product of a GloFish, I thought they weren't allowed to be sold? I've got 12 danios now all different colors including GloFish. I've noticed some spawning before, I'm thinking about setting up a breeding tank and seeing what kind of offspring I get. But if I couldn't sell them or at least give them away, that would be kind of a problem.
I'm pretty sure they are allowed everywhere except where I live..California:swear:! So many regulations over here, I can't even get a danio...I'm bummed:silly:.

In any case...enjoy! They look awesome

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Leopards are not naturally occurring species and are found to be another color variant of zebra danio so both can still crossbreed.

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
I've got 2 leapard danios! Both times I went to get zebra danios, but they were the only leapards in the tank, so I got both! They are in with 2x yellow long finned danios and 2x zebra danios.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I'm pretty sure they are allowed everywhere except where I live..California:swear:! So many regulations over here, I can't even get a danio...I'm bummed:silly:.

In any case...enjoy! They look awesome
Glofish is a copyrighted name and species... it is illegal to breed them intentionally and to sell them without proper licensing from the glofish company in ALL 50 STATES

not sayin your gonna go to jail for having some in your tank that happened to breed lol... but to intentionally set up a profitable breeding operation could get you a hefty fine

phreeflow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
Glofish is a copyrighted name and species... it is illegal to breed them intentionally and to sell them without proper licensing from the glofish company in ALL 50 STATES

not sayin your gonna go to jail for having some in your tank that happened to breed lol... but to intentionally set up a profitable breeding operation could get you a hefty fine
Interesting info. I'm not sure about all of that, I was just saying that it seems Glofish can be purchased in most US states except a small few...California being one of them.

In sum, I'm sad I can only read about them unless I move out of state. They look gorgeous, enjoy 'em OP

Last edited:

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
Leopards are not naturally occurring species and are found to be another color variant of zebra danio so both can still crossbreed.
That's what I thought (also true of the gold and blue varieties, afaik). I was looking up the scientific names though, and I keep seeing leopards listed as brachydanio frankei, instead of rerio.

The question is, is that just full GloFish, or GloFish x zebra (or whatever). If it is, is the store I (and the OP) got them from selling them illegally? And can you give them away if you don't make money? I'm going to look into it more when I have time.

DeeleyWoman, my danios won me over. :D I'll have to send you a video of them, with all the colors they're really a gorgeous school.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
That's what I thought (also true of the gold and blue varieties, afaik). I was looking up the scientific names though, and I keep seeing leopards listed as brachydanio frankei, instead of rerio.
That wasn't until it was clarified leopards never existed in the wild. I sometimes wonder where the taxonomists get these names.

The question is, is that just full GloFish, or GloFish x zebra (or whatever). If it is, is the store I (and the OP) got them from selling them illegally? And can you give them away if you don't make money? I'm going to look into it more when I have time.
The fish in question is a cross of genetically modified zebra danios and original zebra danios. The patent bit is all BS to me. Zebra danios are not sterile and therefore can reproduce without your efforts so the patent argument is moot and is rarely enforced. Some people are just idiots to think they can control the production and distribution of fertile specimens.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
That wasn't until it was clarified leopards never existed in the wild. I sometimes wonder where the taxonomists get these names.

Cool, thanks, I've been wondering about that. Interesting too, I was at a big chain petstore the other day, and they had a warning about the leopards being jumpers, and they didn't have that warning on any other danio.

The fish in question is a cross of genetically modified zebra danios and original zebra danios. The patent bit is all BS to me. Zebra danios are not sterile and therefore can reproduce without your efforts so the patent argument is moot and is rarely enforced. Some people are just idiots to think they can control the production and distribution of fertile specimens.
Yeah, it does seem weird. If you're going to sell them, they're going to breed. What are supposed to do with the offspring?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What are supposed to do with the offspring?
That question is easily answered by feeding or culling. The point is the useless implementation of patent which bans further distribution of the glofish from the point you buy them from your stores. In the first place, they actually knew the glofish is not sterile or else they would never mention not to sell the fry once the original glofish breed. I just don't understand the point of the patent's existence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store